frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

frame

Why is the camaro front end clip popular.I was wondering if it would work for my application i own a 48 plymouth 2 door sedan,i have welded on side engine mounts and dropped in a 305 small block, it fit but the mounts went where the steering box was. i tried fabricating a mount for rack and pinion steering but it is not sturdy at all ,it steers now cause car is not drivable,i know it can't work cause steering sytems have to be designed right?Is it all possible to use original frame the way i have it and have someone design s steering system for me. i am embarased to have ever thought that sytem would work, if it would be easier and more cost effective what clip could I use, i know if i do i would atomatically upgrade my suspension and brake system. I have tons of questions on this project, lots of work done on it- all myself so i know there are lots of things i could and have to replace CAN ANYONE HELP I COULD TAKE PICTURES

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Your old MoPar front end is a very servicable unit. What kind of rack did you try to use?

I have a 48 Dodge business coupe and used a 87 Cavalier rack unit on it. Mounts easily to the frame and by modifying the steering arms just a bit, it fits and works very well. I don't have any pics but there was a similar conversion done by Rod&Custom magazine that is similar to my setup. try http://www.Rodandcustommagazine.com/...135_0501_plym/
Old 02-10-2005, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

frame reply

i used a chevy rack not sure what year, but it was mounted on the firewall thats why i made a wierd mount it was hard cause the wierd angle of the mounting brackets on the rack can not be removed
Old 02-10-2005, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

Here is basically what mine looks like. This is in a mid fifties Ford but the mounting is similar. WWW.y-blocksforever.com/html/rpsteering.html
Old 02-10-2005, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

frame

hey man thanks for the link i already know of fatman fab i plan on buying a front end shock relocation kit from them. Man, those brackets look perfect for my setup i hope i can find them on thier catalog THANKS maybe u have other useful info for mei think i just might have hope after all huh
Old 02-10-2005, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

I just made mine from steel angle scrap and some bolts.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

steering box mount...

is yours on the inside or outside of the frame? If its on the outside you can relocate the stock mount by adding a plate to the top and re-drilling and tapping the mounting holes..use a heavy metal plate or if its on the inside use the front mount motor mount and do away with your side mount. You will need to use and extra universal's if you relocate the box to the outside enough to clear the engine mount but will not need to change anything if you remove your side mount and go with the front mount. GOOD LUCK...measure twice/at least..... and cut once!!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.