Frame for 65 Impala Convertable - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Frame for 65 Impala Convertable

Was thinking of putting a Blazer 4 x 4 frame under my 65 Impala Convertable..having a hard time finding a good stock frame for it.. I mean as long as I get the same wheelbase frame and its a GM it shouldn't be hard to switch it over right ?? Especially If I use the gas tank and rear that came with the truck right ??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

We'v all seen these monstrosity's and they all look horrible.. They never look right because there is no right way to do it, and the frame swap won't match up no matter if it's Ford dodge or Chevy
Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Just an Idea..

I was thinking maybe I could get the car to sit low by modifying the frame or suspension or something... Yes I have seen some 4 X 4 s frames under some weird bodys...Yes I agree with you....have to keep looking for that frame ...might end up going out to AZ to get one..
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

if your looking for a frame try these guys if anyone can help you its them http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...llsize_Chevys/ i hope you can find one
Old 08-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

REALLY odd you'd chose a 4x4 blazer of all things.... If you have the money I'd do a full tube set up, that way your options for ride hieght, drag strip and cornering performance are almost limitless, but having a full tube chassis built can get costly depending on who does it, and what hardware you choose.

Whats wrong with the stock frame? I'd modify it to work with whatever you want it to. Swapping the whole body over to a blazer chassis seems to be an assload of work, and for all the wrong reasons
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last photo:

heres one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...item3a6916bd6f ahhh crap you have a convertable sorry

Last edited by helrazr3; 08-09-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: im a goof
Old 08-09-2011, 06:00 PM

Coupe would work

A coupe would work...I think just need to drill 2 holes in that rear wheel kickup...But...man I live in PA...South Dakota is a trip and a half... would need a flatbed for that thing... My frame is like a Frankenstien frame allready..whole rear was replace on it...behind rear springs is rotted out..I fixed one side already though...but the start of the turnup for the real wheel bend is paper thin...not to mention the front of the frame behind the front wheel too...paper thin...where it makes that turn in by the wheel...I just wouldn't trust it one hard corner and she will split....especially since I will be putting in a 500HP 454 engine in it...not a light weight...Was thinking about making one, but so far I can't find anybody that can bend the frame to go over the rear end...
Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Id suggest contacting a few speed shops, as they'd surely be able to find you someone that can build a frame. Too bad my neighbor builds amazing frames from everything from 6 second funny cars to show cars & trucks, only were a *LONG* ways away from you.

Some drag racers can probably steer you straight, if they cant help you themselves I mean.
Doing this, you also find out about great & bad people to go to & to avoid, so this really helps as well.

If I were you, regarding finding a frame from another vehicle to use; Id really try to stick to a RWD car. A blazer 4x4 is quite a bad idea from a suspension geometry perspective. It was never designed to do what you'll be asking it to do. There are many cars that have the same wheelbase as does your Impala.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM

Good Idea

Good Idea !! I will check it out... Thanks..
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Psychomotors

What about a frame out of a Pontiac , Olds or Buick? I have no idea if they are the same but it might be an option. Good Luck
Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Good luck finding a convertible frame as the demo derby guys have been putting them under sedans since the convertible frame is stronger. I heard that they are getting hard to find.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Found It...

I am pretty sure an 80-84 full size GM frame will fit... I just found a guy not too far from here that makes frames.. Called Auto Weld..I am going to give him a call tomorrow. He can bend it without wrinkles too....He will even give me the parts to weld together myself If I want.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Art Morrison makes all the pieces that you will need to rebuild that frame including the hard way and ez way bends in square tubing...

Sam
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last photo:

the only direct bolt in swap is the 65-66 impala the next thing would be any mid to late 60's gm b-body buick wildcat olds 88 or pontiac bonneville or catalina.

anything else is going to take a lot of modifications if they will work at all if you do modify another frame you will probably need to use all the suspension parts as well the front end is completly different than even cars from the 70's you would be looking to drop the body on a complete rolling chassis.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

This thread is hurting me, as I recently passed on a 65 convertible that had a solid frame, but the floors and trunk were toast (don't ask me how it worked out that way, but it was). In hindsight, I probably should have bought it. Oh well....keep us posted whatever you do. I'd appreciate it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.