Frame/Axle Rust Converter and Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Frame/Axle Rust Converter and Paint

I am in the middle of a frame off restoration/repower of a Jeep Wrangler and have a situation I would appreciate some advice about.

I went over the frame with a wire brush on a drill motor to get off the surface rust then primed with a Rustoleum type primer followed (primer was aged for several weeks and seemed very hard) by a top coat of an equipment enamel paint.

The axles I used a rust converter product and then painted with the same equipment enamel paint.

In the recent hot and humid weather I am getting what appears to be rust popping through on both the frame and the axles. It appears to be on the surface with more of an issue on both the rough castings of the axles and the rougher frame areas (several new sections welded into the frame do not seem to be similarly affected).

Is this a symptom of my not getting enough coverage with the top coat of enamel?

Any recommendations how to proceed would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

could it be metal particals from wire wheeling or gringing sitting on top of the paint that simply started rusting? or is it under the paint? for instance the top of the axle would have rust specks but the bottom doesnt????
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM

It seems to be on the high spots of the rough surfaces rather than the low spots you would anticipate might capture particles. I will try to determine if it is "under" the paint or voids in the paint next weekend when I get back home.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

I am in the process of stripping the build up of crud off my 49 Ford 2 door frame. I am using the Eastwood frame kit with a cleaner before to get the grease and old oil residue off. It seems to be holding up well and really is worth the cost. It is supposed to seal in the rust and stop it. We used it on our last project a 73 Scout II and it is holding up well. We put it on over rustoleum an it didn't seem to mind and is about a year old and still looks great.
The Following User Says Thank You to olderthandirt2 For This Useful Post:
WICruiser (07-14-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.