Frame and Chassis Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Loser

Wiki Edits: 0

Frame and Chassis Paint

I'm planning a couple of future projects involving sandblasting and painting a truck frame and chassis.The first project though is going to be my car trailer(open)which I am going to rebuild ,by first sandblasting and painting it thoroughly.I haven't painted in a while,last time I did something similar I had it blasted and immediately primed it with PPG DP epoxy followed with Deltron paint,2 coats each.The DP primers of 10 years ago were impressive,but I know that all the new formulations have turned everything upside down.Maybe someone can give me some ideas on what to use for the stuff that's out there now,also how to shoot it and with what gun/settings?Time for the whole process is a consideration,I'm going to tow it to the blasters yard and shoot everything myself over there as soon as he is done with his thing,I'll have about 4 hours to have the finished product.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Yup The new formulations have turned everything upside down, Hell since i painted last (early 90s) the paint guns of today are upside down now....

Mustangsaly
Old 05-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Last photo:

I used PPG DP epoxy on the frame of my 34, wish I had not. Today I sprayed some of Souther Polyurethanes epoxy. It went on like cream and layed down real nice. Time will tell how durable it is, once I start laying on the 2K and block sanding. I would really like to repaint my frame with this stuff, but that would require a complete tear down and I don't think my wife could deal with it .

Vince
Old 05-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Seems time is an issue and CLEANING it will take alot of it.
Easiest is to get a gal. of Dupont Chassie Black. It's an Alkyloid Enamel and once it's dried,usually to the touch in 20-30 min,couple of days to fully dry,is some of the strongest frame/trailer paint around. Nice glossy finish and it's very tough. Second would be Nason Industrial Enamel as you can get it in colors. Gun is your choice. Harbor Freight comes to mind......
PSI depends on gun spec's.

If your just wanting to get something on it till you get around to painting,The SPI epoxy (or any good epoxy,PPG,Nason,ect) will get you there.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Registered Loser

Frame and Chassis Paint

Thanks guys, appreciate that.I'm pretty hot to use the epoxy,the DP I used in the past was pretty bullet proof.Is this new stuff comparable?I see some good words for the Southern Poly around here.Is it because you got stock in the stuff? I'm not familiar with it.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Stock?? HUMMMM.....
BarryK is the man and he give's it to us straight. No sales hype crap,Just the real deal on products.
They are an Independant Co. like HOK was before Jon sold out.
Really good product because they actually care and a deicent price because they don't have a 1 million advertising bill to pay for each month.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Registered Loser

Let's say I do go with the Southern Poly epoxy,what would be a good top coat?I'm looking for something superdurable (this is a trailer and some surfaces will see abuse) and single stage.I'm going to shoot the entire deal in one session.Excellent adhesion is probably the prime concern,I remember that the PPG Deltron was prone to chipping rather easily,whereas the epoxy primer could be smacked with a hammer and not go anywhere.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.