Frame desighn help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2002, 12:33 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Frame desighn help

Still need help with my frame if theres anyone out there that has the knowledge. I'm building a full one off custom and need help with frame specs. Doing everything but the welding myself. The rod is a coupe, full fenderd smallblock drivetrain, IFS front with straigh axel rear, air bagg equipped, not channeld(cab is teardrop shaped so need all the room I can get) it will be a 4 passanger car as soon as I build the frame, cabs built, fenders as well, waiting for the frame before I finish the engine bay. What I'm going for is a low center frame for the seating area. the rear rims are 20" and the from are 17" so notching the frame would be needed I think. I'm looking for someone who knows CAD or that can send me some specs, or could I just contact a frame builder like chassis works and have them give them to me, but cost is definatly a factor. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2002, 02:33 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

You might want to start off with some aftermarket rails. I did this on my '27 Ford Roadster Pickup. I purchased a set of American Stamping '32 rails and then form fitted them to the body, after which I boxed, bobbed, z'd and pinch them. Cross members, body mounts, boxing plates, rear air bag suspension were all designed and built by myself.

Basically I created cardboard templates to mock up the parts I need, transfer them into AutoCAD, and then either torch cut from plate or make the parts from structural angle, tube etc. Luckily, I am a designer and work at a manufacturing facility and have access to the equipment and materials I need.

Whether you do the work yourself or farm it out to a fabricator, the body will need to be used as the template for the frame.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

I've done alot of drawing and peicing together with some Basswood as a little model, but my only question is how much do I need to notch the frame up front and outback to to get the desired ride height with the size of the rims and tires, I want the "cab" of the car to sit low slung but with the 20" rims i need to notch the frame, but I'm not sure how much or how to find out, I rather not do it My usual trial and error way.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:05 AM

Cool

I could easily design a frame for your car but kind of tough over the miles. place the body up on suports, the tires where they go and adjust them untill you get the look you are searching for. Once you get that accomplished you will be able to begin designing the frame. Temember cardboard and masking tape are your friends. If you do not have a cad system a good welder will no what to do with neatly made templates of cardboard or plywood (cardboard is much cheaper and easier to cut)

Good Luck
Old 04-23-2002, 10:02 AM

Chevyman is right. The wheels and tire or atleast something as close to the combination you would like to run is one of the first peices to this puzzle. You will want to set your car up at the desired ride height with your wheels in place and then go from there. The way a vehicle sits is everything to me. I have seen some really sweet rides that because they look like they are riding on four wheel drive frames or have wheels that dont fit in the fenderwell properly look like crap. Set it up so you can walk around the car and so you can stand back 20 or 30 feet and try different heights ,rakes etc. You will be amazed at what even an inch of rake or lowered an inch will do for the look. Your driveway may be a good place to set it up, somewhere where you can test different heights etc.and have an long look at it.Good luck , it really isnt as hard as you think. Now when you get into setting the suspension up that can be a little trickier, especially if you dont buy an engineered kit for say kugel or someone like that. Have fun .Once you see your ride sitting the way you want, you will be surprised at how much energy you gain to get it finished.Take care.
P.S. I am in the middle of taking an AUTOCAD class as we speek, soon i may be able to help you out even more.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Alright guys, I did what you said and set the body up on some 2x4's and set the wheels in their place and set the fenders in theirs, and I must say when I get this beastly Luxo-rod finished it should look pretty good at least to me anyway. My question is(yes the dreaded follow up)After I set all that up I measured where the rear end would go and where the front end(upper&lower a-arms) would have to be mounted but the thing that still bothers me is how much should I add for the air baggs for the rear, it will have a 4 link susp. Should I just add the height of the air baggs to what I already measured for the rear axel, will that give it enough clearance or do I need more?
Old 04-24-2002, 04:38 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Allow 3-1/2" clearance between the frame and the rear end housing. If the frame sits to high you may then have to "Z" or "C-notch" it.

Check out <a href="http://www.ridetech.com" target="_blank">www.ridetech.com</a> for air spring spec's and some helpfull views of four bar and triangulated four bar set-ups.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.