Hot Rod Forum banner

frame off

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chevypunk 
#1 ·
I want to take the frame off my 67 camaro so i can blast it. whats the best way to support the body while im doing this?
Thanks

#2 ·
you could go with a rotisserie, do you own any materials that it would require to build one??? either that or a chop block. I personally have been dealing with the same issue, and I think im going to go with a couple of custom built stands ( one placed under each bolt hole ) but i have a 70 chevelle. I dont really see where there would be that much of a difference for yours, if you went with that kind of idea. The main thing is to keep the weight balanced so the body doesnt wind up warping, and you dont get gaps or increased space in the door openings.

#3 ·
The actual frame on a Camaro only goes from the front seats forward, so you can leave the rear end and wheels on, support the main body on each side with blocks and wood at the rocker panets near the cowl. When you remove the bolts (4) that hold the frame to the body make refrence marks so you get it back in properly as there is some adjustment built into these mount points and you want a "square" car when you bolt it back together.

#6 ·
thanks a bunch guys. I'm not sure if im gonna blast the underside of the body since the floors are in pretty rough shape. I might have to replace them. I think i'll put it on blocks since I don't have the cash for a rotisserie. thanks for the heads up on marking where the frame went, i definetly would have overlooked that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.