Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Frame paint ideas; thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbaycustoms
i would start with media blasting it first, or else it will never last. it takes about 2.5 hours to blast a frame that size. and we use an epoxy sealer primer and industrial imron paint that is made for going on tanks that sit outside or in the ground or heavy equipment, the crap holds up. we have used it on control arms and put the bushings in without chipping it. amazing

larry
That's about what I had in mind for the outside of the frame. I do have a pressure-feed sandblaster in addition to various wire and stripping wheels. Would you suggest getting the whole thing down to shiny metal, or just the parts with surface rust (the frame under the engine, for instance, is covered in oil and the original paint is intact)? Should I cover in phosphoric acid or anything else prior to putting down primer? How about POR15 under the primer (or anywhere)?

But more importantly: will the epoxy and imron paint hold up as well if they're rolled, not sprayed?