Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Frame paint ideas; thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
If you are going to the trouble of media blasting to "white" bare metal, why not consider having it powder coated? While Imron will do a decent job and can be home applied (of course using the right safety equipment) it wont get into and around corners as well as an electrostatically applied powder coating which will actually migrate into tubular frame channels. Imron WILL chip fairly easily, powder coating, if correctly applied resists day to day chipping (which now opens the door to the PC naysayers!!!). My last car had an Imron painted frame, this one has PC - and it is holding up much better. Then POR15 - if applied correctly according to the label can be a good product. I will take days to weeks to completely dry though enough to reassemble the vehicle without dings and scratches.
Both Imron and Powder a options, though I be curious what the price is. If memory serves me, I think his budget was around $600 for the complete job. I mentioned having professional blasting, because you can get a frame done around me for between $200- $250. Materials and safety equipment will quickly approach that for a DIY blast job. I've used POR. You can start putting stuff together after 24-48 hours. I had a can stuck to my garage floor for a couple of years, before I took a sledge hammer and busted it off. Left it there just to see how long it would stay stuck.