Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Frame paint ideas; thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 02:42 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

yes, i am certain. my frame metal is like 1/4" thick. (fyi its a 1979 frame), and please note my location and that my truck had been parked outside for most of the time since i painted it. not offroaded much either. i tell you too, the salt they put down on the road last couple of winters really played a part. not quite the Rochester Rash, but you can see my chrome wheel centers are rusty now and some places in the body that did not get the mud washed out well are showing rust signs too, like the folded over rear edge of my front fenders. NOT ENOUGH GAP for air flow or water to wash out, on one side, which has rust, compared to the other side, which has NO rust. air is actually your FRIEND. but you have to be able to wash out the crap that gets in there. on these tri-fives, that also means blowing out the channel under the cowl netting if it gets fallen leaves down in there. no, mud, leaves, sand, any kind of crap staying stuck will retain moisture, so if you can't wash it out regularly you probably are better off boxing it and making it water tight as you can. just that it's a lot of work to do that, right? verses washing it regularly. Think of your car being like your teeth. good analogy.

and the times i did go wheelin and covered the frame with mud i was diligent in doning full rain gear and hitting the car wash, getting on my back and trying to reach all the crap. worst was this muddy river clay that just stayed stuck on everything everywhere. it's not like i just let it go, and still, to quote neil young, Rust never sleeps! (Damned Neil has never been wrong about anything!)

Last edited by bullheimer; 04-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.