Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Frame paint ideas; thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroza
I'm holding off on painting the frame until I finish modifying it (wheelbase stretch via spring swap), and I'm running out of time before I have to leave in June. I understand that epoxy primer can take days to cure between coats. There's no way I'll have it fully painted in 2 weeks. Is it a good idea to get one or two coats of primer in, but nothing else, and leave it (outside, maybe under a tarp) for as long as 7 months, some of which will have lots of rain? Or should I just leave it alone until I have a month-long window to do all the painting at once?
You can epoxy prime, I would do that as soon as it's stripped.
as far as "under a tarp", depending upon where you live I would forgo the tarp, and let it sit "naked" (in epoxy of course) as the tarp will restrict air flow. and allow condensation. Now if you live in Death Valley, a tarp may be a good thing (to keep it from being sandblasted again, by nature). I have also been known to epoxy prime, and then shoot a coat of enamel on it if it's going to sit for a long time (12 months or more).
You should be good with epoxy, and no tarp for a year or so.