Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Frame paint ideas; thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Seeing a few people here and elsewhere mention SPI, I gave them a call to ask about their epoxy primer. I spoke to a very helpful gentleman whose name I forget, who recommend that I forgo any kind of topcoat because it'll never see the sun and the topcoat won't be as strong as the primer anyway. Does that sound right to yall?

He also said that it'd be ok to leave the factory paint (itself epoxy, allegedly) where it isn't corroded, just to scuff it a bit on the border/overlap areas. That'll save me a bunch of work removing the cab.

I dug up an old sandblaster and some safety gear, and tried my hand at sandblasting for the first time. It looks like it'll go well, I just need something better for the lungs than plain old silica. I hear that alu oxide and this stuff called "Black Beauty" are the best for what I'm doing, and don't cost much more than sand. Suggestions?

Some areas on the frame are pitted, not too heavy, but with some "pinhole" pits that go pretty deep. I don't think the sand can reach down there. What should I do about them? Chemicals? Ignore them? Keep a-blastin' til they're gone?

Last edited by moroza; 05-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.