Frame Painted - After long struggle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frame Painted - After long struggle

Finally got some BC/CC on the frame for the sedan/delivery project today. It's been a long hard struggle getting everything straight and smooth on the frame but I learned a ton along the way. I have sort of been using the frame as my "practice run" before doing the sanding and straightening work on the body. So I made some mistakes along the way and it took me nearly a full month to do it.

I shot the frame in the same color as I'll be shooting the body - Restoration Shop's Firethorn Red Pearl. The clear is Kustom Shop Speed Clear and both are sold in a package at TCP/Global. There are more pictures and details of the prep work and painting here in my journal

I have jumped the gun a bit with the pictures of the clear coating since I am not quite done. I've shot two coats of clear and I'm letting it dry overnight and gas off a bit more before shooting one or two more coats tomorrow. Then I have to color sand the orange peel and buff it out a bit.

And some detail shots of the reflections in the side rails.

I'll post up a few more shots when I get done color sanding.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I like that color.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

I have no earthly idea how to type a whistle like I just did looking over these pictures..... but whooooie! that's one fine lookin frame.
Nice , nice work. Two thumbs up , for sure.
You deserve 3 , but I'm not inbred enough to have the extra one.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Dewey, you know that I'm colorblind but........I LOVE IT !

454 RATTLER
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

I was going through project journals yesterday and noticed that you hadn't posted in a while (obviously this was before you updated yesterday evening.) Then I come in this morning and see what you've done. I have only one word for you, Dewey - WOW!

I really love that color! That rod is going to stand out like nobody's business! I went back and followed your other thread about tuning the gun, and now this one, and your journal - to say that you're going to have one sweet ride when it's back together would be the understatement of the century.

Restoration Shop's Firethorn Red Pearl, huh... Did you order the paint online or do you have a local source? I think I may have found the paint for my wife's car...
Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Looks real good. You must have spent a lot of time on smoothing all the welds, everything flows together perfectly.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
Restoration Shop's Firethorn Red Pearl, huh... Did you order the paint online or do you have a local source? I think I may have found the paint for my wife's car...
I ordered it on line from TCP/Global. They sell a "Kit" which includes a gal of bc paint, a gal of retarder (speed of your choice), a gal of clear and clear hardener - which would normally be enough to do one car - for $240. This doesn't include any of the primers or fillers, but they are also available at TCP/Global.

A little note of caution regarding the color. Before you buy it, you might want to wait until I get some photos of it out in the natural sunlight.

As I noted elsewhere, I'm not sure my photos are capturing the true appearance of the color. In fact, I'm not even sure at this point what the real color IS. It's amazing how much the color changes depending on lighting conditions. I just went out and took these three shots to give you an idea of what happens.

This first shot was taken with a couple halogen painting lights on, the overhead florescent lights on, and a bit of natural lighting from the windows.

The second shot was taken with the halogen painting lights turned off (but florescent overheads and natural light still on).

The this third shot was with the halogen lights turned off, florescent overheads on, but with a camera flash.

And just to get you really confused, this last one is from a different angle...halogen lights off and using a camera flash. Note that the area closest to the camera flash is much redder while the areas further from the flash get progressively more maroon.

In fact I was so confused by the first set of photos I took of the frame that I thought it was something to do with my digital camera. So I went in and got my wife's camera and took a series of similar shots with that one. But the color differences came out nearly identical.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the pearl in the paint and the way it reflects the florescent vs the halogen light (and also the light from the flash). Maybe some of the paint gurus can explain this a bit better...and let us know which of the lighting conditions might be closest to natural sunlight...and thus the color the car will appear with it is in full sunlight.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Looks real good. You must have spent a lot of time on smoothing all the welds, everything flows together perfectly.
Thanks George. You're my inspiration when it comes to "novice painters" AND guys who absolutely HATE paint prep but do it nevertheless.

Yes, lots and lots of hours went into the frame detail. Just about a month exactly from the time I shot the first coat of epoxy to the time I got the clear coat on. And that's working at it five-six days a weeks. But one of the major reasons for doing all that work was to improve my skills for doing the body itself. I leaned a lot during the process, most of which will hopefully transfer over to getting the body straight and smooth and being able to shoot some decent bc/cc.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Yep, awsome stuff there Dewey, what I beautiful car that is going to be!

Brian
Old 06-11-2008, 05:46 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
A little note of caution regarding the color. Before you buy it, you might want to wait until I get some photos of it out in the natural sunlight.
That's what I like about the color - the fact that it changes depending on the light source and angle. I understand that it's more maroon than the pics reveal in the shop photos - the fact that it "lights up" like it does under certain conditions is very appealing to me. Think about cruising on Saturday night (yeah, some of us still do that) and pulling up under some fluorescent lights at the local burger joint with that color on your rod - "simply fantastic" is all I can say.

Also, the fact that it's only $240 for the kit is a major help - that's one of the cheaper red colors I've seen. I understand why, but red paints are usually a lot more expensive than that...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
That's what I like about the color - the fact that it changes depending on the light source and angle.
Fortunately for me, I like ALL the shades that I'm seeing in the shop. It will be interesting to see how the color looks when I get it on the entire body (much larger surface area) and to see if the color shifts that much under different lighting conditions.

BTW, here is the color sample from the TCP web site. Actually quite a bit like my frame...quite red where it catches the light and much more maroon where there is shading.

Still would like to hear from the painting masters if this is primarily due to the pearl reflecting different types of light sources or if it is something else entirely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firethorn pearl.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	30557  
Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
One other caution about the color is to be sure you have good coverage on all pieces, that the paint is being applied exactly the same. Be sure your substrate color is the same. Be sure that you innermix all cans of your paint and that you have enough to paint the whole thing.

Painting cars in pieces can lead to disaster if these simple rules aren't followed.

Brian
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

Cboy, I know this thread is somewhat aged, but I just had to add my congratulations on a job well done, Your frame looks great, and I'm anxious to see more of it as your project progresses.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderbill
Cboy, I know this thread is somewhat aged...
Thanks powderbill, but the thread is less than a week old. It's ME that's aged....and I've got a bad case of fisheyes and runs.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Swedish Mob Mobile

Last journal entry: painted!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
BTW, here is the color sample from the TCP web site. Actually quite a bit like my frame...quite red where it catches the light and much more maroon where there is shading.

Still would like to hear from the painting masters if this is primarily due to the pearl reflecting different types of light sources or if it is something else entirely.
this color looks similar to the color i painted my honda. i got the color from a '08 Lexus IS class. color name Matador Red Mica

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../_DSC9158a.jpg

the work looks great, i cant wait to see more progress & the final piece of the car together

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.