Hot Rod Forum banner

frame pics

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  home brew 
#1 ·
I had this over in an electrical thread, thought some of you might want to see since cboy asked.
#9 Today, 02:03 PM
willowbilly3
Member Join Date: Jun 2004
willowbilly3's Project Journal
willowbilly3's Classified Ads

re: Frame mounted alternator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Hey Willowbilly,

Get your butt in gear and update your journal...looks like you've made LOTS of progress but no recent pics in your journal

This is a very interesting technique...really cleans up the engine. I'm not sure I understand what "power cowl steering" is. Are you going to mount that pump on the other side of the frame the same way or does that mount some other way?

I'm also intrigued by the notch in your frame for the spring. Can you shoot some more detail of that?

Jeez, where was I? Well anyways I am working on this today and stumble across my own thread in a search. I am using a steering box from a 91 Astro van. I am planning to have it cowl steer like the old sprint cars, with the steering box inside and the pitman shaft coming out through the cowl. I will also mount the steering pump on the other side, like I mounted the alternator. I doubt there will be any measurable flex between the engine and frame. All of my frame mounts are 4 point (two on the engine and two on the frame) plus these are double on each side.
Sorry I haven't updated. Here is a picture of the grill when I was whittling it down to size.
And the pictures showing the frame notch. I built my own front cross member and welded it in at 7 degrees. It is welded to the frame around the notch on all three sides. Also I ran the frame boxing plates long and wrapped them around the inside corners of the cross member.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Look at the back side of that C notch, its boxed in with the cross member. Besides, what do you see ahead of that C notch? Just to frame stubs that usually have nothing hanging from it on those kind of cars. The car is being suspended in the middle of the cross-member by the cross spring, I don't think he has much to worry about.

#6 ·
I agree with quenchpiston on the "C" notch. The boxing plates wrapped around to the crossmember strengthen the attachment, it's stress is only in shear, so there is nothing forward of the notch that is stressed enough to break it..

If the weight of the car was supported by a crossmember forward of the notch , or if there was a torsional stress on the crossmember , I'd do some more boxing inside the "C".

I would ride in that car with no concern at all about the notch.
I did one just like it on a 27 roadster not too long ago.

astrovan steering box in the cowl :thumbup: I like that idea.

Later, mikey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.