Frame Prep & Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 09:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Frame Prep & Paint

Hi,

I recently purchased a 67 camaro (I know, same ol' same ol'). It fell into my lap and I couldn't not turn down the good deal.

I want to start cleaning up the subframe and under body. I've spent a lot of money lately so I doubt I want to go out and get a compressor and accessories. I was planning on getting a good electric DA sander to start and clean up everything. I currently have a craftsmans random orbital sander and a 4" angle grinder. Could they work in place of a good electric DA sander???

My other option would be to get the subframe sand blasted. I don't have a truck or trailer so hauling the frame around may be costly. Opininions??

Ok...once the frame and underbody are clean, I plan on buying some eastwood etching aerosol primer and spaying a good 1-2 coats just to keep away the rust until I can have it painted or paint it myself. Is that a good idea??? I would then plain on spraying epoxy primer and a good top coat over the etching primer or simply buying some eastwood aerosol chassis black to coat everything.

I'm not interested in a show car quality paint, just something that will look ok, PREVENT RUST and hold up well without chipping and peeling.

I want to put off buying a compressor for a while but want to start on cleaning and painting the frame, in my garage. Suggestions on the very best way to do that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 09:43 AM

im far from an expert but from what ive read there is no reason for the self etch. sand it down and put a good epoxy coat on it
Old 07-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Painting chassis

I am currently using Spi # 6600 series..it is a self etching epoxy primer for all my intial prime work..you can paint over this stuff with about anything and get a nice job of it..and it seems to be holding up just fine..Just need to get the metal clean..this product solved a lot of issues for me..

As far as cleaning..I just use a pressure washer to blast off accumulated grease and crud and then sand it all down..some of the tite corners can be a bit tough but then you can get into most of them with a flex shaft and a small cup wheel..

OMT
Old 07-01-2005, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

The problem with the epoxy from spi is that it needs to be sparyed on.

I don't have a compressor or gun and really want to avoid transporting the frame and car. It's what I eventually plan to spray or have sprayed on, but in the mean time I need a way to protect the raw metal. After I sand to raw metal it could be months til prime and paint.

This is why I want to know if it's ok to use the eastwood etching primer, or hell, and aerosol primer on the frame til paint.

Mike H
Old 07-01-2005, 10:20 AM

i thought about doing that myself but with what ive read, you are going the wrong way about it. you are going to make double the work, just save up some cash do it once the right way
Old 07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Old way

Well I just used plain ole rust-o-leum for years until this "new-fangled" stuff came out..comes in spray cans at the local hardware store..

Tha tis all we used to have..works fine..the "new stuff" is more durable and makes a better finish but then I have been around long enough to know when a fellow is just plain "stuck"..

OMT
Old 07-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPower
Thanks for the help guys.

The problem with the epoxy from spi is that it needs to be sparyed on.

I don't have a compressor or gun and really want to avoid transporting the frame and car. It's what I eventually plan to spray or have sprayed on, but in the mean time I need a way to protect the raw metal. After I sand to raw metal it could be months til prime and paint.

This is why I want to know if it's ok to use the eastwood etching primer, or hell, and aerosol primer on the frame til paint.

Mike H

You can brush epoxy on, put one coat on and let it set overnight, keep the unused mixed epoxy in a sealed container, then apply another coat the following day. This has been covered and suggested in the past. You'll have some light brush marks but it will be a durable coating. Use a fine bristle brush.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.