Frame rail repair.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frame rail repair..

Hi all, (and Deuce in particular)

I have some frame rot to repair on my 36 Ford. I bought a 3 foot length of the "correct" frame material to repair a couple of very rusty areas. One is by the body mount, which is fine, the frame there is straight as an arrow. The other area is up towards the cowl where it has a compound curve, up and in. I originally thought about pie cutting (actually just kerf cuts) into the repair piece to get the bow I wanted and then just weld up the cuts. A respected buddy suggested repairing the section with two pieces cut out of a flat sheet. He said you could just trace the curves in the new pieces and weld them together. Which approach sounds more realistic??

Thanks,

Cam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 12:00 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Make the repair patches "one piece" if you can. Use a piece of poster board to make your patterns. Cut and form the cardboard until it lays nicely on your uncut frame. When you lay the cardboard out flat it will give you nice flat pattern to cut the patch out of sheet steel.
Trim out your frame and fit the patch to the hole. Weld it in using the skip method and let things cool off before putting to much heat into it and possibly warping the patch or frame.
After everything is welded up get some primer or other type of protective coating on the inside of the rails to cover the welds. The welded areas will rust surprisingly quick if you don't protect them.
Mark
Old 09-14-2006, 01:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks, Mark. The frame in that location is two perpendicular surfaces, the top rail and the side. I think that two seperate pieces is going to make the better looking, stronger, repair.

Cam

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.