Frame to Rear Drum Brake Distance, '47 Chevy Fleetline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 12:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frame to Rear Drum Brake Distance, '47 Chevy Fleetline

Hey Guys, I wanted to ask how far the distance should safely by between the back of my drum brake to the flange of my frame. I have an old 1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan. I have the frame off; I recently installed a 1980 Monte Carlo rear end with the trailing arms because I am going to be running airbags all around. Right now, I measure the distance from the back of the drum to the flange of the frame about 1. Is this too small?

I plan on running skinny 5.60 x 15 tires (or maybe 14s) with big whitewalls. I just want to make sure the tires are nicely tucked into the fender and not rub on the frame or the fender/skirts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

How much clearance do you have with the tires on from the frame? Shouldn't have that small of a gap (at least 3 inches). For the brakes 1 inch is close but I don't think it would be a problem... Might have problems with the tire clearance though. I am using a 57 rear end on my 48 and it's got a little more clearance than that but not much much more just about an inch or so and I think it is around the same width as original rear. Is that rear end in the back on that pic the original one (I can't tell). If so then compair them.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

djjc76,

I'm not trying to be overly critical, but that upper arm crossmember looks pretty slim! I'd be afraid any kind of torque to the rear axle will yank that puppy plumb out of the car. Lower arm mounts need more support, too. It might be OK for a parade car, but I wouldn't drive it on the highway like that...

Russ
Old 06-12-2005, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies...

S10,

the upper crossmember isnt done yet. I have to re-enforce it by putting "K" braces. The lower support brackets will get boxed for added re-enforcement.

SMF,

The rear end I used is an '80 Monte Carlo, which is 58" outer width and 51" inner width. The width of the frame from flange to flange is about 49". This only gives me 1" clearance from each side. I'm pretty much convinved this isnt the correct rear end. The axle in the background is the stock rear end, which meaures 61" outer width and 54.5" inner width. So, there is about 2 inches or so in clearance for the stock one. What I am planning to do is measure the rear end off a '70 Monte Carlo and hope that the inner width is about 53", which would give me about 2" on either side. Currently, there is no clearance from the tires to the frame, it rubs.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

Yeah seems too close man. I would give it at least 3 inches of clearance for the tire clearance and try to get another inch and a half for the clearance in the brakes there. Your cross member there in the rear of the frame looks pretty skinny.... is that original? I know mine is like a 1X1 inch square tube one. I would try to strengthen that frame up too if you add a 500. I have a 48 chevy (same thing as your basically) and everyone said if I put a built up 454 in it then I should strengthen that frame because most of the weight is being held or used by that flat plate like thing under the boxed part of the frame.
Let me know how your project goes if you don't mind, I am hoping to get some more idea's for my chassis. I have a 57 rear end under mine and it fits nicely but not sure if it will take the power of a 454 haha. Probably will look for a nice Ford 9 inch with 31 spline and an N case instead of a WAR.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF Speed&Custom
Yeah seems too close man. I would give it at least 3 inches of clearance for the tire clearance and try to get another inch and a half for the clearance in the brakes there. Your cross member there in the rear of the frame looks pretty skinny.... is that original? I know mine is like a 1X1 inch square tube one. I would try to strengthen that frame up too if you add a 500. I have a 48 chevy (same thing as your basically) and everyone said if I put a built up 454 in it then I should strengthen that frame because most of the weight is being held or used by that flat plate like thing under the boxed part of the frame.
Let me know how your project goes if you don't mind, I am hoping to get some more idea's for my chassis. I have a 57 rear end under mine and it fits nicely but not sure if it will take the power of a 454 haha. Probably will look for a nice Ford 9 inch with 31 spline and an N case instead of a WAR.
I am planning on adding a SBC 350 motor, 700R4. I will strengthen the 4-link braces, brackets, etc. I might go with a '70 Monte Carlo rear...it wil be a bit wider. I want to use 5.60 x 15 tires with the 3" whitewall (lowrider style). Like this:

Old 06-13-2005, 01:51 AM

Last photo:

Alright sweet, I see what your getting at now. Yeah well no worrying about that much clearance with that skinny of a tire now. Check out some tail dragger 47's and 48's... Here I will post a few for ya so you can get some ideas on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48 Taildragger.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	5388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taildragged 48~.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	5389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taildragged 48.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	5390  
Old 06-13-2005, 01:53 AM

Last photo:

Here are a few others...
Oh and check out www.my48chevy.com
It has TONS of pictures of 47's and 48's and there are some really nice ones on there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taildragged.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	5391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taildragger.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	5392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Traditional 48.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	5393  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.