frame rust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

frame rust

Anyone tryed or know anything about Eastwood's frame and suspension restoration kit. You put the rust converter right over the "surface" rust, then apply the rust encapsulator, then the chassis black. Eastwoods has a good name but I'm a little skeptical about covering rust, even just "surface" rust. Whataya say?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

i say sandblast it and get rid of the rust,it's not that expensive. you can probably have it sandblasted for the same price as that eastwood stuff costs. remove the rust or cover it up, which sounds better to you??
Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
i say sandblast it and get rid of the rust,it's not that expensive. you can probably have it sandblasted for the same price as that eastwood stuff costs. remove the rust or cover it up, which sounds better to you??

X2.........
Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

We sandblast all of our frames then epoxy prime and paint with Gm reconditioning black you can find it sometime hard to find but if you look on ebay you can find it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-BL...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Avoid the Gremlins.

Last photo:

I am not a fan of rust convertors, hate the hard lumpy finish most of them leave, and if you sand you risk taking it back down to metal . Better to remove all the rust.

GM Re-black is good stuff, we can get here at the Napa easily I guess each are different (but try getting a power steering hose here). I never blasted or reconditioned my frame on my nova, but it had about twelve layers of ziebart or some kind of sealing thick dark gray rust inhibitor over it and on it to start . Don't' know why but it did.

Worked on a guy's car who had a bad frame rust spot behind the back tire on a chevy II ( surprise ). Both sides where rusted away, top and bottom where fine, just in one spot about an inch across, from top to bottom, the rest looked phenomenal, oddest thing ever. He used spray on rust sealant then painted over, but that one spot must of not gotten good coverage or something.

I welded two heavy gage plates on each side of the frame after removing the rust and used GM-Re-Black over them No problems since. But he wished he had removed the rust instead of sealing it after all was said and done.

I'd blast it, or (not feasible) soak it in rust dissolver for a week .

Good luck with it!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

I would agree with the other guys and say you need to have it media blasted to REALLY do a good job, but following blasting I would encapsulate the frame after that. There are a lot of rust encapsulators out on the market; Eastwood is, I'm sure, a good one. I used a product called POR-15 on my 40 Chevy frame and it's been 3 years with absolutely no deterioriation. I had everything media blasted. The entire car and frame cost me less than $400. Then I went over it with their Metal Ready (a spray-on product that kills any residual rust, then brushed on two coats of the encapsulator. All of those products will kill the active rust, and the encapsulator seals the metal from oxygen to prevent further rust. If there is active rust, just applying an encapsulator will not accomplish much, except to hide it for a while. I replaced the floors on my car with new sheetmetal, but still coated both sides with POR-15 and am quite satisfied with it. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.