Frame straightening---aft of rear end. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frame straightening---aft of rear end.

I just bought and took down to the frame today, a 67 ElCamino.
It was a gulf coast car so 99% of the body is toast.
But, in order to get 2 new quarter skins for my 66, I had to by the whole car.

$$$ wise-it worked out in my favor----as I get to sell the dropped spindle disc brake conversion that is on it (BRAND NEW__NEVER DRIVEN), and I have a potential frame to use either for my 66 or a temporary body holder while I get the original blasted and painted.

The previous owner told me that it had rolled off a trailer backwards and hit a telephone pole. The frame is about 3" lower on the left rear corner than the right rear. In the axel kick-up, there is a bulge on the outside where it appears that it bent right at the top of the kiick-up. Quarter panel had a pretty good size ugly spot between the wheel and the door---appears as it happened during the argument with the pole.

Is this an easy fix---or will the frame have been weakend to the point it is not worth the trouble.

Reason I ask---is that my 66 may have been in a serious frontal accident in the past--top of the passenger side cowl has been pushed back about 1/2" AFTER repairs long ago. But I also suspect that the 66 has had a frame replacment as I can detect no evidence of of repairs or pulling. And also the fact that out of 12 bolts holding the body on----9 have snapped while getting them out---and I have 3 more to go----no rust in cavities either.
Had to cut holes in the floors to get the cage nuts out, and so far, none of the bolts were rusty.

Got his junker all apart in one afternoon-----taken me a week so far to get the bolts out of the good body.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

If the body is TOAST ... isn't the frame also suffering from the bite of the RUST MONSTER ??

If not ... I see no reason that the frame could not be straightened. Most vehicles with a good many years and a good many miles have some alignment issues. Too many want to be " Dukes of Hazzard " drivers ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Provided as Deuce has said the frame is not rusted beyond good sense that is an easy fix on a frame rack with the body off..Maybe there is a friendly frame guy in town..??

Sam

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.