frame swap for 1950 chevy truck - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

20 years ago I put a 1950 three window Chevrolet truck cab, bed, fenders,etc. on a 1983 Chevrolet short bed 1/2 ton truck frame. I had all the modern systems (suspension, steering, brakes, frame, and more). Remarkable, the dimensions of the 1950 truck and the 1983 truck were very close. I did have to weld on running board supports, and some other fabrication was needed, but overall it was a very simple swap with great results. The truck still runs and handles great, and repair parts are still readily available when needed.

I'm not really in favor of the S-10 frame swap because I think it's not beefy enough. That being said, I have many friends who like and have used the S-10 frame on many different projects, including trucks, without any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM

1950 frame

Hi There, I Have A 1950 As Well And I Put A Camaro Front Clip On Ifs, Front Steer So Its 2nd Gen. Fully Boxed As Well. Like Other Replies I Read Based On Your Question, I Have To Say If You Have Access To A Frame Bench Or Are Capable Of Building Jig For Your Frame To Do The Work Along With Welding Experience, You Can Look Up Specs. And Probably Get Away With Doing It Your Self, How Else Do You Learn. Good Luck And Write If You Have Any Other Questions.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezz-man
I have a 1951 gmc on a 78 chev shortbox frame . The set up works well except that the front overall width from rotor to rotor is wider than stock. if you are lowering, you will have a real bear finding tires and rims that will fit in the fenders. Use a mustang 2 set up or get the shortened A arms from Fatman Fabricators. I wish I had, but with a lot of time looking for rims and tires, i just barely got my tires under the fenders. narrow rims and tires. works for me
do you have picture of your truck,

because i whant me to to put a my 54 cab on a 78 frame 1 tonne
Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 AM

1950 frame

you might try a old jeep truck frame go to classic cars they built a frame for the truck they restored last year
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Last photo:

I used my old frame with modifications with a corvette front clip and diff mount
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM

My buddy did a89 s10 swap, and made it a daily For his son in one month, spent less than 3 Grand altogether

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.