Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   frame swap for 1950 chevy truck (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/frame-swap-1950-chevy-truck-136350.html)

truck1950 04-03-2008 05:14 PM

frame swap for 1950 chevy truck

I have a 1950 five window Chevy pickup, can anyone tell me if there is another frame that I can use other than an S-10 to put my truck on? Will any of the short bed Chevy trucks work? or are there any car frames that might work? I would like to find a car or truck frame that will work that has front and rear disc brakes, and power steering and gas tank. Some one stole my "A" frame, bed and running boards from a friends house where I was prepping them.

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Also I am a Computer Graphic designer of 18 years, and I would be willing to ****** ** **** *** * ***** ** *******. Thanks!
In Christ Care
truck1950

Henry Highrise 04-03-2008 06:01 PM

Frame swaps are a lot of work. No frame will just work for you...you have to make it work and there is lots of work to do...lots of welding and fab work. If you have the tools and equipment and are good at welding and fabrication, etc. Go for it but otherwise...IMHO...the best thing to do is use your 50 Chevy pick-up frame...upgrade it. You can put IFS on the front with disc brakes...you can box the rails for strength. *** Please use the Classifieds on this site to place a free ad for your barter or trade. Advertiseing for that is just not allowed on the boards.

truck1950 04-03-2008 06:24 PM

Thanks

Thanks, that's a great idea but some one stole my "A" frame and at this point I have no idea where to buy a replacement. Also prefab IFS and IRS suspension are very expensive. At this time I am not financially able to go in that direction.
I have my cab,fenders and hood in my garage so maybe if I have to wait a few years to do the frame swap (until I can get the money) looks like I may have to do that. But I just thought there was a cheaper way to buy a frame that would work that had front and rear suspension that I could modify. I am willing to do the work but I don't have the weiding skills or fabracation tools to do the job.
I have done Cad drafter for over 5 years and computer graphic design for over 18 years. I have a good understanding of designing, but I just don't have the weilding skills to do the work myself. I have even thought about buying a how-to book on building a custome frame or maybe someone has a blue print of a good design I could use to build a frame. I was also thinking that I could find a short bed chevy frame that has front and rear disc brakes and modify it to fit the cab and the fenders of the truck. I'm sure I could find someone here in Dallas TX to do the weilding for me.

Again thanks for your help and if you know of anyone or any place I might could purchase a custom chassis blueprint design and specs for my 1950 please drop me a line.

Thanks again,
In Christ Care
Truck 1950

OneMoreTime 04-03-2008 07:19 PM

As far as the welding and fabrication skills those can be aquired..all that you need really is a drill press a welder and a cutoff saw..and some grinders..that is all I use to build chassis..On the welding part go get a lincoln or miller SP175 and start welding..once your you can stick 3 pieces of metal together youare good to go...One can find people with good welding skills to come over and finish weld your project.

What building thse rods takes more than anything else is determination and persistence. Dealing with setbacks is part of it as there will be times that you are ready to send the whole thing to the scrapper..Like when you find the parts that you bought don't fit and do not work..

So to summate this is do some searches on the site and look around and you can find ways to get it done..

Sam

Countilaw 04-03-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truck1950
Thanks, that's a great idea but some one stole my "A" frame and at this point I have no idea where to buy a replacement. Also prefab IFS and IRS suspension are very expensive. At this time I am not financially able to go in that direction.

You don't want a IRS (independant rear suspension) on your truck. And if you not financially able to go in that direction, your aren't going to be able to go with a frame swap. A frame swap is a very expensive proposition. Not only with fabrication, but all the parts that you are going to need.

Something to think about, how are you going to mount the bed to the new frame? Where are you going to put the mounting pads? How are you going to mount the cab to the new frame? How are you going to run steering linkage?
What about throttle linkage? TV linkage? Fuel tank? Fuel lines? Brake lines? Drive shaft? Frame lenght? Frame width?
Radiator support? There is a lot to be considered when planning a frame swap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1950
I am willing to do the work but I don't have the weiding skills or fabracation tools to do the job.
.....but I just don't have the weilding skills to do the work myself. I'm sure I could find someone here in Dallas TX to do the weilding for me.

It's going to take a lot of welding. Probably more than anyone would do for free, or have the time to "drop by" at your convenience for when you have some welding to do.

You would be better off using your existing frame.

Frank

truck1950 04-03-2008 08:16 PM

Thanks OneMoreTime

That's very encouraging, also I have a friend at work who has a new welding machine he never uses much and said I could use it anytime I wanted to, and I'm sure he has a drill press and grinders.
What I don't know is what kind and size metal do I buy. I know the wheel base of the 50 pu up is 116" and some where I have the track width. I can lay out the design at work for I have a Cad program I use every day. If I can just get all the specs right I can design the frame. But again I don't know if I sure use tubing or some kind angle iron, for I have seen then done both ways in the truck magazines I buy.

I really like the tubing design frames but I will have to use whatever is best for my budget. Can you give me any information on what kind of metal I should use. I use to work as and Electrical Sub-Station construction helper so I know how to bend pipe. I am very good with my hands and I have a very good understanding of measuring and angle knowledge on how thing should go together.

But I don't know about the strength of metals and what types will carry a cab,finders, hood and bed.

Again thanks for you guys help and if you have more insights on the metal I need to buy and where to buy it, I would greatly appreciate it. I look forward to hearing from all who can help.

Thanks to all
In Christ Care
Truck1950

NEW INTERIORS 04-03-2008 09:33 PM

I would either put a Nova clip in it,Or build a whole new frame out of 2''x4'' tubing. :thumbup:

chevy3600 04-04-2008 02:24 PM

Go on Ebay and you can find some old AD trucks (47 2nd to 54) that will sell cheap and you will have a ton of replacement parts as well. I have see them for as little as 250.00. You will of course have to install your IFS but that will be a lot easier than building a new frame plus the extra parts you'll have.

OneMoreTime 04-05-2008 12:41 AM

I used 2x6 box tube on my most recent chassis build and will do it again as it gave me a good bit of room to run exhaust and mufflers inside the frame rails. One 20 foot bar is plenty.
I am looking at using the front ends from S-10 pickups as they are close to the same as a Nova and a lot more available..cut it off of the donor chassis just behind the lower control arm mounting points and use it like one would use a Nova front end. while you are getting the front cut the rear frame clip out of the s-10 just about 6-8 inches ahead of the front sspring mount..then connect the 2 pieces with your sq tube..When you are cutting clips out of a donor leave enough trim so you can fit the tubing to the clips..

The major deal with the S-10 chassis is that the stock configuration has a lot of humps and bumps and wiggles to it that make it hard to use for a rod project..Doing what I outline makes it much more usable..

Sam

1952_Chevy_Panel 04-05-2008 09:50 AM

We clipped my dad's and my panel using the stock frame, 78-80 model camaro clips with polyurethane bushings. I've had my panel wagon off the frame though, took alot of time cleaning and boxing in the frame, grinding the welds back down. My dad's on the other hand isn't boxed, and our 468 BBC gives it a hell of a twisting.

NEW INTERIORS 04-05-2008 10:17 AM

Your better off using a nova clip then a s-10, It's much easier to put a sbc in a nova.You will have to run the s-10 headers, With the s-10 clip.I have pics of a 58 Chevy truck I did with a nova clip in my album.Also my 57 Chevy car I did with a Camaro clip.I have done several clips last year,and I prefer to use the nova clip.It is also narrower then the Camaro. :thumbup:

bullheimer 04-07-2008 02:56 PM

i can tell you what NOT to use, and that is a 73-81??) frame like the one under my truck. way too much hgt in the front for a 2 wheel drive rig. and i had to weld a pile of mounting points on it as well as remove 8 inches from the middle of the frame rails.

my stock frame was virtually flat, so new 2x4 steel wouldn't be that bad, but you would have to do welding of mounting points. maybe not that much tho.

the best part for an old truck is however, a whole new chassis. but in your case i think getting by with a new front clip would work. i don't know if your welding is up to it tho. you will be driving on two-lane highways alot. you would hate for your left front wheel to fall off in front of a semi. i imagine if you are bucks up that someone like Fatman makes a bolt in unit.

i think i am a pretty fair welder. however when i did my frame off i had a drunken ship fabricator from a local ship builder (dakota industries) as a roommate, until he went to jail.. he did all the welding on my frame. i just did all the measurements. so help is available. you would be amazed at how much free work you can get for "free beer" (or in his case, black velvet)

TooMany2count 04-07-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Your better off using a nova clip then a s-10, It's much easier to put a sbc in a nova.You will have to run the s-10 headers, With the s-10 clip.I have pics of a 58 Chevy truck I did with a nova clip in my album.Also my 57 Chevy car I did with a Camaro clip.I have done several clips last year,and I prefer to use the nova clip.It is also narrower then the Camaro. :thumbup:

MMMMM, I have a 425 Caddy mtr sitting on my S10 frame thats under my 1ton Panel/Bus body. I had to move it forward to clear the firewall & all I had to do is fab up some brackets to weld to the frame & it is sitting low in the frame rails. I was able to use the stock Caddy mtr mounts & still was able to run the stock exhaust manifolds even though the 425 Caddy mtr is about 6inches wider then a SBC mtr w/o any problems.
The only reason you would have to run S10 headers is IF you used the stock 2.8 mtr mounts w.a V8 in a S10. Make up your own mount set-up using SBC mtr mounts, that way you don't have to by any of the V8 S10 kit garbage, heck that's why we have welders, cutting torches & other tools isn't it???? The worst part of a S10 swap is the front tires need to stick out about 2 inches further (tall spindle swap or offset rims fixes that)and you should use the S10 4x4 rearend to clear everything in the rear...joe

NEW INTERIORS 04-07-2008 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooMany2count
MMMMM, I have a 425 Caddy mtr sitting on my S10 frame thats under my 1ton Panel/Bus body. I had to move it forward to clear the firewall & all I had to do is fab up some brackets to weld to the frame & it is sitting low in the frame rails. I was able to use the stock Caddy mtr mounts & still was able to run the stock exhaust manifolds even though the 425 Caddy mtr is about 6inches wider then a SBC mtr w/o any problems.
The only reason you would have to run S10 headers is IF you used the stock 2.8 mtr mounts w.a V8 in a S10. Make up your own mount set-up using SBC mtr mounts, that way you don't have to by any of the V8 S10 kit garbage, heck that's why we have welders, cutting torches & other tools isn't it???? The worst part of a S10 swap is the front tires need to stick out about 2 inches further (tall spindle swap or offset rims fixes that)and you should use the S10 4x4 rearend to clear everything in the rear...joe

Sorry but I have be doing this for a long time,And never seen no one put a reg. set of headers in a S-10.And yes it can be done but you will have to cut them up and remake them.All the clips I have done work out great,And don't have to try to cram a sbc into a s-10 frame.Plus my tires will not be 10'' inside the fenders. :nono: This is a camaro in a 57 Chevy frame. :thumbup:

P.S. I don't buy anything I can make myself!!!!!! :nono:

TooMany2count 04-07-2008 08:37 PM

Ok I have reread the complete post 4 times & up until I read your post no one mentioned headers until you did. You said, "You will have to run the s-10 headers, With the s-10 clip. Who's to say they HAD to run the S10 V8 convertion stuff or even headers. I guess they couldn't make up their own mtr mount kit and run (rear-dump) stock manifolds like myself, only difference is I'm running a Caddy mtr instead of a SBC & heck mine mtr is even wider, running stock manifolds & the drivers side is a center dump on top of it && it fits.

I'd also loved to know where you can up w/the "10" inside the fenders" garbage. On my own w/a 8" rim all I have is about 4" on inside clearance. I did say that was one of the drawbacks to this swap, did I not?? . I'm doing a tall spindle swap which will push a 12" rotor out about 2". I need at least 2 or so inches of clearance since my tires are tucked up inside my fenders. For myself & countless other this swap has worked fine.

And I'm sorry we're talking about 2 different trucks this poster has a 50 Chevy & you have a 57 Chevy, 2 "completely" different trucks in every way shape & form, nothing is the same other then it's brand name "Chevrolet" not even the width of the suspension.

:pimp: