Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - frame swap for 1950 chevy truck
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1950
Thanks, that's a great idea but some one stole my "A" frame and at this point I have no idea where to buy a replacement. Also prefab IFS and IRS suspension are very expensive. At this time I am not financially able to go in that direction.
You don't want a IRS (independant rear suspension) on your truck. And if you not financially able to go in that direction, your aren't going to be able to go with a frame swap. A frame swap is a very expensive proposition. Not only with fabrication, but all the parts that you are going to need.

Something to think about, how are you going to mount the bed to the new frame? Where are you going to put the mounting pads? How are you going to mount the cab to the new frame? How are you going to run steering linkage?
What about throttle linkage? TV linkage? Fuel tank? Fuel lines? Brake lines? Drive shaft? Frame lenght? Frame width?
Radiator support? There is a lot to be considered when planning a frame swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950
I am willing to do the work but I don't have the weiding skills or fabracation tools to do the job.
.....but I just don't have the weilding skills to do the work myself. I'm sure I could find someone here in Dallas TX to do the weilding for me.
It's going to take a lot of welding. Probably more than anyone would do for free, or have the time to "drop by" at your convenience for when you have some welding to do.

You would be better off using your existing frame.

Frank