Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - frame swap 47 gmc to s-10 frame
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
And then there's me, representing the clip swap/frame swap group. There are legitimate arguments both ways and I'll admit that I never have seen a swap that someone else has done that looked right or operated right. 9 out of 10 guys that say they can do it right.....can't do it right. And that's the problem. Most of the swaps you will encounter have been done by hacks who have little understanding of suspension geometry or how to get the clip or frame under the body with the proper body attitude when the whole mess is finished. Time after time, I have seen "Goober" put a clip under a car/truck and then use cut springs, dropped spindles and other mickey mouse fixes to get the attitude of the vehicle looking right. Geez, what a bunch of knuckleheads. That's what gives frame clip swaps and frame swaps a bad name.

I like to tell the story of one of my friends. He came by the house several years ago to show me his new Effie ('56 Ford pickup). Beautiful paint, upholstery and blown BBC. He said he paid....I think.... $35,000 for it. He offered for me to drive it and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a vehicle. On each turn, you had to manually return the steering wheel to center. The builder apparently had no idea of how to include positive caster into the IFS.

There is so much junk like that out there running around that I'm not surprised that some of the guys on this forum have a negative outlook on swaps.