Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   frame swap 47 gmc to s-10 frame (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/frame-swap-47-gmc-s-10-frame-206531.html)

tom crow 10-03-2011 09:38 AM

frame swap 47 gmc to s-10 frame

hi every one this is tom. Building 47 gmc panel for shop truck for my bike shop. Play with cars and trucks for long time. Putting s-10 frame under it .What do i need to watch for. any help or ideals

35terraplane 10-03-2011 01:48 PM

47 Gmc

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom crow
hi every one this is tom. Building 47 gmc panel for shop truck for my bike shop. Play with cars and trucks for long time. Putting s-10 frame under it .What do i need to watch for. any help or ideals

Tom Welcome to Hotrodders.

This is one of the most asked questions we get here, people want to put a different frame under this or that. I think you will find that most of us will ask why? Then they will say keep the frame you have, of make one to fit, in your case, the panel. Not knowing why you would want to put a s-10 frame under it, I will tell you it is a lot less trouble working with the frame you have than put one from a different truck that is not close to what you have. It's your choice, and you might get some help, this will get it in the right spot. A lot of guys have done it but then when they start we get a lot of questions on how would I do this or that.

Bob

dirty dixon 10-07-2011 10:00 AM

Bob knows what he is talking about. When you switch frames you have to worry about the fit of every thing, fit of wheels, engine, tranny, rear, driveshaft and body mounts, etc, ect, etc. There is a lot of extra work. It is much easier and most likely cost effective to buy a mustang 2 crossmember and a crate SBC, if you're looking to modernize. If your frame is in good shape I say keep it.

But in the end it is your call, some people do swaps because they have the parts, time and know how. My truck isn't on the og frame, but I wish is was. Everything would fit better and finding replacement parts would be easier.

MARTINSR 10-07-2011 10:10 AM

There are 704,298 different suspension kits for your truck available from 8,157 different suppliers in 16 different countries. :D There is no reason what so ever to "swap" the wrong frame under your truck.

Frame "swaps" don't save you money, time, or work. It only "swaps" the money, time and work to another frame, that is ALL it does.

These are simple facts. What someones opinion on whether it is worth the different money, time, or work is up for discussion. Personally I don't think it is, FAR from it in my opinion.

Brian

techinspector1 10-07-2011 10:58 AM

And then there's me, representing the clip swap/frame swap group. There are legitimate arguments both ways and I'll admit that I never have seen a swap that someone else has done that looked right or operated right. 9 out of 10 guys that say they can do it right.....can't do it right. And that's the problem. Most of the swaps you will encounter have been done by hacks who have little understanding of suspension geometry or how to get the clip or frame under the body with the proper body attitude when the whole mess is finished. Time after time, I have seen "Goober" put a clip under a car/truck and then use cut springs, dropped spindles and other mickey mouse fixes to get the attitude of the vehicle looking right. Geez, what a bunch of knuckleheads. That's what gives frame clip swaps and frame swaps a bad name.

I like to tell the story of one of my friends. He came by the house several years ago to show me his new Effie ('56 Ford pickup). Beautiful paint, upholstery and blown BBC. He said he paid....I think.... $35,000 for it. He offered for me to drive it and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a vehicle. On each turn, you had to manually return the steering wheel to center. The builder apparently had no idea of how to include positive caster into the IFS.

There is so much junk like that out there running around that I'm not surprised that some of the guys on this forum have a negative outlook on swaps.

MARTINSR 10-07-2011 02:25 PM

The fact that there are hacked over frame swap projects at every swap meet is the evidence of how difficult they are. :pain:

Yes, people don't get the whole steering geomotry thing, that does get you into the advanced fabrication class. :) :sweat:

But even putting all that aside. You set up the car to riding height, you splice the frame in and using an angle finder you set the control arms at the proper angle to allow for stock like alignment capibilities. Or outside of stock for that matter, personally it makes sense to set it up to be able to align it just as the car the clip came from. You weld the clip on at that point. THIS is a huge undertaking for you average home hobbiest.

But this is only the begining! Now you have inner fenders to cut up, you have a rad support to modify, most likely installing a whole new rad (cross flow). You then have bumper brackets, and this is before you get to the steering column.

Now, trimming inner fenders or the rad support isn't that big of a deal when you can put a template up against it and trim it, big deal Brian, but when one can't put that template because you have MANY things hitting, all over the place. How much do you trim one when you can't put it into place to figure it out because it's hitting four other places?

This gets very complicated and hard to figure out so one usually end up over trimming stuff, just cutting the living hell out of it. Often they WAY under estimate how much needs to be trimmed and trim and trim and trim until the sheetmetal fits into place and it is a hacked over mess. This is AFTER all the work in setting up the suspension geomotry correctly!

Now this is on a front clip, multiply those headaches by TEN at least.

Can it be done, hell yes. Can it be done by a home hobbiest, hell yes. With enough time and planning hell yes! One small step at a time just like anything else on these cars I have a lot of faith in the home hobbiest I have way too much respect for their ingenuity to think they can't. But looking at the odds, what would work out better, then pulling off the frame swap or bolting and welding on the great kits that are available that come with instructions (thought I admit many are pretty basic "install in place and weld". :) )?

I say for the average non pro builder it is better to take one step at a time and do the rear, that is as simple as you can get. Then move to the front and do that with the body and front sheet metal on the truck you can see exactly what you are doing and it is just by the odds going to be much nicer.

Brian

ogre 10-07-2011 05:09 PM

martinsr, you sound like a broken record...record...record...record... ;)

MARTINSR 10-07-2011 05:11 PM

When I see someone walking into a dark alley that I just saw a gang go into I am going to warn them, and the next innocent guy who comes along too. :)

Brian