Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Frame swap
Thread: Frame swap
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2003, 09:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

OK now I see that there was a page 2 to this post and everything I wrote down has been discussed...
so.....nevermind. Below is some scribble.....

Hey Trader, I'm looking to do exactly the same thing. This is what I've found and I would appreciate any feed back. The late model frame's I've researched have been focused after '96 to take into account the "better" Vortec engines and OBDII, then more specifically after '97 to benefit from the reprogrammed automatic transmission for better efficiency. The model pickup I have found to be the closest match is a Reg Cab, Short Bed, 4x4. It measures: WB 117.5", Width 76.4", O/A Length 199.1"
A shortbed frame like ours measures: WB 114", Width 67", O/A Length 193"
It has to be a pickup, even though the Tahoe has the same wheelbase, because the pickup frame bends differently.
To remedy the difference in WB, I have researched having custom leaf springs in the rear made with the positioning dowel moved forward aprox. 3". The cost for this service I have found to be no more than $500 for all springs involved.
As for the width, Tomslik is right the s-10 has a 65" width (too narrow) and the late model width seem wider. I have found conflicting numbers in some truck books however that state the overall width of our trucks as 77" and the wheel width as 67". So can any one verify the actual body width of our trucks in the front? Was there a 5" gap on either side of our stock skinny wheels from the factory?
I don't have a frame anymore and all other body parts other than my Suburban shell are in storage.
Again, keep us up to date on what you find out.
Daren.....

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: 57burbn ]</p>