Hot Rod Forum banner

Frame swap.

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  swvalcon 
#1 ·
I have a 50 Chevy 4 door that I am playing with the idea of putting the body on another frame. It has a 115 inch wheel base. Any ideas on another car I can use the frame from? Would swapping a sub frame from a Nova be a bad idea? I would like to upgrade to front disks and put a 4.3 V-6 I have in it and it seems the easiest way to achive that.
All ideas are welcome here. Thanks.

#2 ·
The Nova subframe should work out..Just check the hub to hub width of the subframe before you start..shoudl be very close to the original..On that car the S-10 frame swap may work as well..I believe the wheelbase on some models of S-10 are close to what you need..As well as the track width is close to the original..If the width is off too much it will look funny..

If it becomes necessary it can be done that one uses the front clip and back half from the S-10 and then uses 2x4 square tube for the frame rails..

As usual measure twice cut once..

Sam

#4 ·
So far I have an extra cab S-10 that comes in at 124 a standard cab long bed that comes in at 120 and an 81 olds cutlass that comes in at 110 I think. I have a sub frame from a Nova as well so I guess I just have to put some though into this to make it work right. At least the parts are free.

#10 ·
53 Pontiac on a Monte Carlo frame

Hello, It's not as hard as it seems to swap a frame. I would suggest going with a complete car frame, including the later model engine, transmission and rear axle, instead of a subframe. Check out an '80s GM midsize frame in a junkyard. The wheelbase doesn't matter, it's easy to cut a section out, and weld it back together for the right wheelbase. Then just set the body on the frame, space it up a half inch, move whatever is in the way, and weld up brackets off the sides for your body mounts. I did my Pontiac 20 years ago that way, and I'm still driving it.

#14 · (Edited)
frame swap

I'm fairly new to this forum thing, but just found your discussion about frame swapping... When I get caught up some of these other projects.. I have a ' 48 Dodge 4 dr, I want to chop, maybe section, ( never done that ! ) but, I am thinking a frame swap for this. I like "Bonehead"s suggestion, espescially using 80's stuff under it. I'm thinking maybe a "nailhead " up front. For now. I'm just going to stand back and maybe learn a little.

#15 · (Edited)
For anyone thinking about using the S-10 frame, I have measurements and photos of a 52 Ford pickup on an S-10 frame on my website. If you're doing a Dodge, you might consider just a front suspension swap from a Dodge Aspen or Volare. I've seen the Aspen/Volare swap done on a 39 Dodge 2 door coupe and on 48-52 Ford pick ups. It's almost a bolt on.

My website:
www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1

#16 ·
Old Car bodies on new car/truck frames........ouch!

I'm not saying it can't be done, I am saying it is very difficult to do it well, and all these years of rodding and rodders say so too.
The addition of a Nova front clip, rear steer(1968-74) or front steer(1975-up), is relatively easy, gives a good upgrade of steering and brakes and ride.
Even easier, if the tread width, will work is the Volare swap BUT it changes the front wheel bolt pattern.
There is really no reason for a complete frame swap unless you have a rare body style with a rotten or broken frame.
Replacing a rearend is so easy and there are so many options out there. The rear springs can be replaced with new on some cars and theold ones rebuilt on all cars.
Yes, if you look at history, you'll find this was tried back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and currently. Many cars were cut up and essentially destroyed during these experiments in "making it easy", just as many cars were cut up and ruined during the Pro-street fad. There seems to be a real deal out there for 49-51 Mercury folks but the rest of us can just step up and do the front clips, front crossmember suspensions and ride, ride, ride.

#17 ·
frame swap

I had been thinking of a frame swap for my '48 Dodge 4dr, but after looking at all the different wheelbases, looks like nothing would fit excactly without some modification, so I guess I'm now thinking of the front clip or subframe. Problem is, I don't even know what a Volare or Aspen look like ! I assume that they will have disc brakes after about '70 ?? Also, how long did they make these ? I have never done this stuff before, have always done "original restorations".. The front clip sounds like an interesting challange. Can I assume there will be plenty of room under the rear for whatever axle assy "we " decide on ?

#18 ·
frame

here are the pictures of the frame for my 47 ford 4 dr. It started out as a 83 elcamino frame. I cut the inside center edge of frame added new center section and welded inside of frame then cut off old frame center section and welded frame on outside edge. that way wheel base stayed the same and should drive and handle just as it did. nothing was changed from the way chevy set it up. put in new trans cross member and moved motor back to better fit ford firewall.Frame got a little rusty setting out side while i get new shop built so i can go back to work on it. sold old house with shop on it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.