Hot Rod Forum banner

Frame Tube

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  racersdad04 
#1 ·
My 24 T Roadster was fabricated using L Tube, does anyone know wher I can purchase L Tubing? Need to replace sections Left and Right sides.

Thanks 22 Roadster

#4 ·
Questionable material.

I had a co-worker's son who was just out of highschool. He bought a T bucket project that someone had started as a highschool project. The frame was warped and I said I can straighten that with a chain and a jack. A couple of the welds BROKE I told him he could cut it apart and grind and properly prep everything and reweld it. After an other swap of the project I ended up the 4 th owner and built a new frame from RECT .120 wall tubing, and Used a buick V6 and 5 speed. For something with a larger engine I like to go to 188 wall tubing. I was given a glass 23 T project and had to promise that when I get it done I have to take it back to Calif to give the guy that started it 20 years ago a ride. It was on a hacked up model A frame and I built a brand new chassis for it. Do you have any picts of the frame. ? ?

#5 ·
Home depot uses a similar type of material in its material racks. I wonder if the builder used some of that for the frame. There is a whole stack of that stuff at the local scaffolding company which is sold to people wanting storage racks for their warehouses..

Sam

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
I don't like the looks of that "L" tube at all, I don't mean so esthetically, I mean structurally. It doesn't look well made with curved in sides, it looks like something poorly stamped out of sheetmetal for cheap production of shelves or something.

I see it as a very cool offering for some projects, don't get me wrong. But for a frame, first off it will add a LOT of work to figure out accurate cuts but honestly, I would stick to rectangular tubing.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.