frame width - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

frame width

anyone know the frame width on a 73-77 el camino,monte carlo,malibu,grand prix.Or 77-85 lesabre,77-90 caprice?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Frame Width???

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddo
anyone know the frame width on a 73-77 el camino,monte carlo,malibu,grand prix.Or 77-85 lesabre,77-90 caprice?
Hi phil, where do you need measures taken. I have 72 Chevrolet (full size frame) 327/350 hp
Old 09-26-2010, 12:42 PM

frame

hey im looking for a monte carlo/ elcamino frame to put my 66 short wide on. the only thing is i need the dimension of the frame
i need to know how wide it is frame rail to frame rail front to back. thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintweb
hey im looking for a monte carlo/ elcamino frame to put my 66 short wide on. the only thing is i need the dimension of the frame
i need to know how wide it is frame rail to frame rail front to back. thanks
If you'll cut the '66 frame at the firewall and at the back of the cab and weld on front and rear clips from the G body, you'll be way ahead of the game. That way, you can set the ride height anywhere you want it without changing springs or lowered spindles or any of that other monkey motion that guys do who use the full frame from something else. If you don't understand what I'm saying, google "Z-ing" the frame.

Front track on the G body is 58.5". Rear track is 58.8". Measure your track center to center of the tires left to right to see how close the G body track matches yours.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:34 PM

well you see i have a slight problem with adding anything to my frame because i bought it off of some idiots that have cut and rewelded it and cut and now the frame is rotted out in places and i have found a early 70 model monte carlo and the wheel base is the same. i was just wanting to use the whole frame. then i wouldnt have to reconstruct a whole new frame. would it work. i know i will have to construct body mounts but thats slight compared to where i am right now on this original frame that has torsion front suspension and a rotted rear suspension
Old 09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
More for Less Racer

The car frame is quite a bit wider than the truck frame, at least the section between the firewall and the rear wheelwell is, probably a foot to a foot and a half wider.

Entire car frames don't swap under trucks well at all. What about using the car front frame stub, then make your own from there back out of 2"x4" tubing??

You will have a hard time fitting the coil spring car rear suspension under the truck bed also, due to the high center crossmember for the inner upper suspension links. '66 truck has a great rear suspension already, still in use in NASCAR, maybe salvage it and install it to new fabricated frame rails??

That truck arm rear suspension is being sold as a performance upgrade for cars by a company called Hot Rods To Hell

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.