Frames... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frames...

I don't know if this is exactly the right forum but I couldn't find one that was quite right.

I've got a 67 Camaro that when I put it on the jack to change a tire, the frame (sub frame under the driver or passenger door) bends a bit each time I put the weight of the car on it. This tells me that i need to replace the subframe, quite possibly in it's entirety. Does anyone know where I can go to look for new or used sub frame assemblies in good condition. I think they call them rolling chassis but I can't recall off the top of my head.

The rest of the car is solid. The guy who had it before me stored it under a car port with a car cover so the underside is practically gone and needs to be completely rebuilt. I don't know anything about body work so any help will be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Get out the ducktape...

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Front brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I don't know of any companies right off that sell the subframe but a well run junkyard will have some in good condition most likely.

P.S. put up some pics of the car.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

As requested, some pics of my car.

Here's looking at you kid...

One of my better pictures

Decent...

The last one, the sun was funny that day, or the film got a little hot and didn't develope quite right. I've got another picture of it but I'll have to go to work and get it from my shelf there. Enjoy!

P.S. How do you post pictures IN the test box here without linking them? /shrug

---edit---

Forgot one.

Just got her...

This is one about a year after I bought her. Went to basic and came home to get her before heading off to my first assignment. Little did I know that driving a car such as this for 2500 miles was not a good idea! LOL!

Last edited by Ozz1967; 08-16-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you can post some photos of the damaged areas, it may help figuring out what is needed to fix th problem.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Air Force Guy

Last photo:

Sadly, I don't have any pictures nor do I have any way or getting some.

As I said earlier, the car is mosly in good shape, except for the underbody which is being consumed by a rust monster. I know that everything from the Firewall to the tail lights on the underbody has to go. Floor pans, floor pan extentions, shock tower mounts, trunk pan, rear frame rails, everything (rear shock tower already rusted through on me once, had a friend do some minor repair to keep the thing drivable).

I can buy all those parts new though from various vendors. The only problem I'm having, is with the front frame. It's strait, that's not the problem. From what I see every time I jack it up, is that the metal is so old and rusty where I can't see it, that it's just getting weak, and is maleable now. That tells me that there might be more wrong than just the part that goes under the passenger compartment. So I started looking around to find some place that sells new/used/rebuild sub-frames in their entirety, figuring going with a whole new set up than trying to repair the old was the best bet.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:02 AM

There has to be a company out there that repos sub frames for camaros. They make every thing else for those cars. Did you try Yearone? Maybe look in Hemmings for camaro parts supply places, call one of them. If they don't carry them, they might know someone that does. Good luck on your search.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.