Frantz filter system, buy or not to buy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 07:37 AM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frantz filter system, buy or not to buy?

Hey all,

I wasnt sure were to post this so i thought since its related to engine oiling, it would fit in here. I'm considering buying a frantz filter system, I wanted to know what you all thought, if it is worth the money, how the installation went , etc. I'm going to put it on a 1998 saturn sl2 if i do get it, i just wanted everyones opinion before i dropped $200 on it.

Thanks all,
Ben

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Does it still use toilet paper filters?

I have seen both the screw on and bypass systems. Some people swore by them, but I have seen actual filtering capacity tests and they really do not remove that much more dirt than today's filters do.

You might want to look at the AMSOIL bypass filter system. It is designed to work with their synthetic oils.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Last photo:

I would not waste the money on it. You are much better off using a full synthetic motor oil with high efficiency filters designed to work with synthetic oil.

Vince
Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

yeah it is still using the toilet paper filters. The only thing that has got me thinking is i know most filters today only filter down to 10 to 20 microns, whereas this filter is supposed to filter down to 1/10 of a micron. It would seem logical to me that you want your oil to be filtered of all its impurities as much as possible. thanks for the input
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

The first pass efficiency may be 1/10 of a micron but the long term efficiency is not as good as a spin on.

The toilet paper has a tendency to channel, that is develope a HOLE thru the paper and no longer provide the filtering for which it was installed. You have to change the filter quite often to insure this does not happen.

Frantz also used to specify a specific brand of paper due to its ability to do the best job. Do they still do that? Most toilet paper today is also perfumed and that is not compatable with good lubrication desires.

Take some toilet paper and soak it in brand new oil. Watch what it does. Take an equal amount of paper and soak it in used oil. Watch what it does.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

yeah i think they recommend scott 1000 tissue paper. My dad was telling me (he works on ammonia compressors) that the company he works for requires the compressors to have sub micron filters, which he said looked very much like a roll of paper towels. I've read a lot of websites were people have installed the filter and have not heard of the problem of channeling, but i am not saying that you are wrong either. I appreciate the comments.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

I guess I'll be the odd duck on this thread.

I have the Frantz on all 3 of my chevies. Two trucks and my wifes Caprice.
I chose the Frantz because its been around for probably close to 40 years and is very cheap to change the rolls. NO filter has been shown to provide better filtering than tightly wound toilet pater. Some of the high dollar spin on bypass kits have big fancy looking filters....with TP inside.
The rolls are still available from the manufacturer as are the new filter kits. Install can be a challange on any system if your under hood room is limited.

I run regular petro oil and run it to 10,000 to 15,000 miles per change. I change the toilet paper at 3000 miles and my spin on filter at 5,000 to 7,000 miles. I have cut open the spin on filters and find them clean every time. Barring a major engine failure, I suspect that a decent spin on filter would go for 40 to 50 thousand before even getting close to clogged.

With all that said, do I think there is a big advantage to using any of the bypass systems? In the long run, probably not. Todays engines run very clean, with the exception of a few imports that are prone to sludge buildup. Add to that the fact that motor oils are light years ahead of what they were 15 years ago, petro oil, if kept clean and not overheated, can last for many 10's of thousands of miles.

Probably the best place to use a bypass filter system is on a Diesel. They are so dirty but the bypass filters do an excellent job keeping them clean. The Frantz is also excellent on hydraulic systems too.

I will say that overall, most oil filters are marginal at best when it comes to good filtering. Some are very good, but its a trade off. Very good filtering means they trap more very small particles but need changed more often. Long milage filters trap less of the small pariticles but can go long distances between changes.

I know I'll get bashed for my post, but thats ok! I'm used to it. LOL
For a stock engine and daily driver, the 3000 mile oil change is out dated and a total waste of time and money. Europe has manditory oil change intervals ranging from 7,500 to 10,000 miles on new cars and having NO problems with engine failures or premature wearout.

If you'd like to read tons of info on all the different bypass systems and talk to others who like and use them, check out this site.

Mark
Old 01-12-2006, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

funny, i got the system in my closet, but it is the 60 model system. never benn used i just keep it for a collectible thing! lol

I also got all of the adaptors they came with, dodge,ford,checy,amc,potiac,and other odd brands.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Last photo:

You can't compare a filtration system on an ammonia compressor to a car system. The ammonia compressor operates at obscene pressures and is able to push product through a very restrictive filter, quite unlike a car. A Mobil 1 or Puralator Pure 1 filter does a far superior job at removing debris without restricting oil flow too much. The Frantz system is not passing all your oil through it, only a small stream. A spin on filter passes all the oil your engine gets through it, unless it is clogged or the bypass valve has malfunctioned.

I find it hard to fathom that in this day and age of instant information that they are still selling the antiquated Frantz system.

Just my 2
Vince
Old 01-12-2006, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

franz filters

toilet paper is for wiping your ???????. modern spin on oil filters are all you need. engine manufacturers such as cat say use any ad on by pass you want but dont ext ed the change period, plus what happens when the t paper channels and small parts get into the pan.use good oil specked to your engine and a good filter, spend the franz money on gas use the t paper for what is ment for . my view cliff
Old 01-12-2006, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

I'll stick to AC Delco filters. I used a System 1 filter on a VW that I had but that was my only deviation from AC and I haven't had a problem yet.

Larry
Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

Oh well, I guess it takes all kinds to make for a good conversation. I just wish people would take the time to study up on things before bashing them and making un-educated blanket statements based on hearsay and old wifes tales.
Never mind, its probably just a waste of time anyway.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Last photo:

Oh well

Vince
Old 01-13-2006, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

well, im always about trying things out that interest me, im only going to be out a little money and it will be a good learning experience. I've heard different things about it from different websites, forums, etc. I dont think any product ever really gets a unanimous decision to whether it is a worthwhile product or not, but as always i do appreciate the input.

P.S. here is my problem though, why would the government try to implement this technology if it was useless?

Last edited by zipfactor; 01-13-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipfactor
P.S. here is my problem though, why would the government try to implement this technology if it was useless?
You answered your own question, we are talking about THE GOVERNMENT , notorious for useless programs .

Vince

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.