Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Free 327!
Thread: Free 327!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Free 327!

I'm thinking of trading a lawn tractor for a 327 (3914660 Block) with 3917291 heads. I got the tractor for free for scrap so if I make the trade I guess you could say I got the 327 for nothing. The engine has been sitting covered up for a few years but other than being dirty it seems ok, the engine also turns over with a socket and breaker bar. Engine is complete from carb to oil pan minus the alternator and distributer. The engine belongs to a friend and he said it ran when pulled (everyone says that) out of a 65 corvette, I don't think he would screw me over but I am willing to take the chance.

My plan is drop this engine into my 82 caprice and see how the engine runs. currently my car has a 305, 200-4R, factory 8.5 posi with 2.41 gears, and 205/75R15 tires. Yes I know the 327 is a lot for the 200-4R but I have 3 extra trannys so I'm not worried. My concerns are 1. I'm guessing the cam in the 327 is not going to like my 2.41 gears. 2. I think it has camel hump heads, are they any good these days? can they be ran on todays fuel?. 3. There are no holes for my accessories in the heads. I have a set of vortec heads with 68cc chambers that have been refreshed I could bolt on. They have the accessory holes in them, I would just need a new intake.

Sorry for the long post. I guess I am just wondering if you guys could tell me if this engine will run ok (given the engine itself is good) in my car with my drivetrain. This car was my daily driver but I also have a 99 suburban so the car gets driven only about once a week now. I drive normal and every once in a while I like to step on it and go fast but that's about it. I don't expect the car to be super fast with the 327 but a little more power than the 305 is all I'm after. Any help you guys could give me would be great.

Thanks,
Jay