Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Free 327!
Thread: Free 327!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
piston speed is piston speed
do you understand bore to stroke ratios?
and a 383 and 400 both have the same piston speed,the 400 breathes better because of the bore. A 400 is not a high revver compared to a 383 or 350
I understand that they have no bearing on an engines torque output or high revving capabilities with exception to the most extreme situations.

The Cadillac 500 must have an incredible stroke right? No, actually it's got a square bore/stroke ratio. It's just a big engine that has a drive train designed for a low rpm duty.

Unless you're talking about engines with absolutely monstrous pistons (TD BBC) or very long strokes combined with bores that are strangling past the point of the heads design (the 267 SBC comes to mind) then these rules just don't apply to 90% of performance builds today. You can build a 305, 327 and 350 with nearly identical parts and I can bet they'll make very similar horsepower to one another and the bigger the engine, the faster it'll make peak torque. The smaller the engine will make it's power higher in the rpm range to make the same power as the bigger engine. You read that right, The 305 will have to rev higher to make the same power as the 327, all things being equal.

Short stroke or long stroke or big bore or small bore or freaking rotary or anything... I'll take the bigger engine if I want to make more torque, not the greater stroke. The 327 is going to make more torque at a lower rpm range than the 305 will as long as you use the right components. Valve train and heads. This isn't nitro funny cars... just some small blocks in an old caprice. Bigger is going to be better as long as it's built correctly for it's purpose.