Free 327! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Free 327!

I'm thinking of trading a lawn tractor for a 327 (3914660 Block) with 3917291 heads. I got the tractor for free for scrap so if I make the trade I guess you could say I got the 327 for nothing. The engine has been sitting covered up for a few years but other than being dirty it seems ok, the engine also turns over with a socket and breaker bar. Engine is complete from carb to oil pan minus the alternator and distributer. The engine belongs to a friend and he said it ran when pulled (everyone says that) out of a 65 corvette, I don't think he would screw me over but I am willing to take the chance.

My plan is drop this engine into my 82 caprice and see how the engine runs. currently my car has a 305, 200-4R, factory 8.5 posi with 2.41 gears, and 205/75R15 tires. Yes I know the 327 is a lot for the 200-4R but I have 3 extra trannys so I'm not worried. My concerns are 1. I'm guessing the cam in the 327 is not going to like my 2.41 gears. 2. I think it has camel hump heads, are they any good these days? can they be ran on todays fuel?. 3. There are no holes for my accessories in the heads. I have a set of vortec heads with 68cc chambers that have been refreshed I could bolt on. They have the accessory holes in them, I would just need a new intake.

Sorry for the long post. I guess I am just wondering if you guys could tell me if this engine will run ok (given the engine itself is good) in my car with my drivetrain. This car was my daily driver but I also have a 99 suburban so the car gets driven only about once a week now. I drive normal and every once in a while I like to step on it and go fast but that's about it. I don't expect the car to be super fast with the 327 but a little more power than the 305 is all I'm after. Any help you guys could give me would be great.

Thanks,
Jay

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM

The 327 has a shorter stroke than the 305 so it wont like the 2.42 gears.The old heads wont like unleaded fuel. A stock vortec 350 is a much better choice for the Caprice as a DD. The 327 deserves to live in a lighter car that will be driven in a spirited way.The torque curve is higher up the rpm range than a similar 305/350.
If the engine came from a 65 Vette,grab it,Corvette guys will want that block and steel crank.If its a solid lifter engine its worth even more than the hydraulic.Is the carb a Holley or Rochester?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

Yes the deep 0.67:1 OD ratio of the 200r4 trans, coupled with the 2.41 gears would prefer an engine that supplied plenty-o off idle/low rpm torque, such as a 305/350 with their comparatively long 3.48 crank strokes.

I had an 89 Caprice 305/TBI, 200r4, 2.41 gears and it would pretty much idle down the highway. It got 27 mpg on the highway.

peace
Hog

Last edited by Hogg; 05-08-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: 305 SBC not 205
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
The 327 has a shorter stroke than the 305 so it wont like the 2.42 gears.The old heads wont like unleaded fuel. A stock vortec 350 is a much better choice for the Caprice as a DD. The 327 deserves to live in a lighter car that will be driven in a spirited way.The torque curve is higher up the rpm range than a similar 305/350.
If the engine came from a 65 Vette,grab it,Corvette guys will want that block and steel crank.If its a solid lifter engine its worth even more than the hydraulic.Is the carb a Holley or Rochester?
Its a Rochester 4 barrel hot air choke.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Vette engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty2Bbody View Post
Its a Rochester 4 barrel hot air choke.
It will be the lower HP version so sell it to a vette restorer.Not as valuable as the solid lifter/Holley engine but still a steel crank. most likely 1.94 heads not 2.02s.
free is a very good price,just dont bother using it in your car
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
The 327 has a shorter stroke than the 305 so it wont like the 2.42 gears.
***?

I hope you had a brain fart Vinnie as I'm sure you're smart enough to realize that the shorter stroke has absolutely nothing to do with the gears. An equally built 327 will outperform the 305 at every rpm, even the low ones.

What should be of concern though is that this is an old worn out engine is questionable shape, on its best day it was marginally better than the 305, after years of use and neglect it needs to be freshened up.

I would only look at the 327 as a core, and for free you're still coming out ahead as long as the block is decent.

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 05-09-2013 at 12:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

I planned on doing a rebuild to it in the future if I decided to us it. I was going to just throw it in to see how it ran. Maybe I will get the engine and just put in the back of the garage for a future project or sell it. Just thought it would be cool to say my car had a 327 in it. If it is out of a vette I would never tell anyone "hey I have a corvette engine in my car" because I do not like corvettes. Except for a 427 4 speed convertible I once drove, that was a nice car and yes it was an original 427 4 speed car.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Nothing wrong with 327 and its an improvement on a 305 but it is almost definitely going to need to be rebuilt with the age and wear.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I'm a little baffled that the idea of stroke being the determining factor in a engines output is still prevalent. Here's a quick and dirty example of why: both the Buick 455 and Olds 455 are the same size. Buick has a 3.90" stroke, Olds has a 4.25" stroke... Both were torque monsters.The 350 buick came with a very similar 3.85" stroke to the big Buick, why did the Buick make a substantial amount more torque? It was a considerably larger engine.

Let's apply that to our 305/327 SBC's here, which is even fairer comparison because we're talking apples to apples. The stroke doesn't matter, torque and horsepower is going to be determined by the valve train and heads. The place where they occur is determined by the displacement of the engine itself - so long as compression, valve train and port size and shape are identical. The 327 is going to be a better in any situation because it's bigger. That simple.

Last edited by Valkyrie5.7; 05-08-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

If it really is a 65 Corvette motor then its worth a few bucks. It might be worth selling and getting a newer or better motor. Good luck whatever happens
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Apologize for the Olds/Buick mix up. I'm at work while I try to form a coherent opinion.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM

305Vs327,also addressing brain fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
I'm a little baffled that the idea of stroke being the determining factor in a engines output is still prevalent. Here's a quick and dirty example of why: both the Buick 455 and Olds 455 are the same size. Buick has a 3.90" stroke, Olds has a 4.25" stroke... Both were torque monsters.The 350 buick came with a very similar 3.85" stroke to the big Buick, why did the Buick make a substantial amount more torque? It was a considerably larger engine.

Let's apply that to our 305/327 SBC's here, which is even fairer comparison because we're talking apples to apples. The stroke doesn't matter, torque and horsepower is going to be determined by the valve train and heads. The place where they occur is determined by the displacement of the engine itself - so long as compression, valve train and port size and shape are identical. The 327 is going to be a better in any situation because it's bigger. That simple.
The stroke determines the piston speed at a set RPM. The 305 will have a faster piston speed than the 327 at the same RPM,simple math.
The 327 will make more power than the 305,yes. The 327 can rev higher,more freely,w/e terminology you wish to put here,,,,have a lower piston speed at same RPM,,,there fore the 327 can rev a little higher,if you take advantage of this then the power will come on later than the 305(leave the 350 out for now)Val,I expected you to understand where I was going with this,
sorry I left out the details and math.
I still would prefer the longer stroke engine if I was stuck with 2.42 gears.
Im the first person to jump up and down when people say you need gears to match a cam,you dont.
So I stand partially corrected,thanks for pointing out my lazy post.I should have put more effort into it.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The stroke determines the piston speed at a set RPM. The 305 will have a faster piston speed than the 327 at the same RPM,simple math.
The 327 will make more power than the 305,yes. The 327 can rev higher,more freely,w/e terminology you wish to put here,,,,have a lower piston speed at same RPM,,,there fore the 327 can rev a little higher,if you take advantage of this then the power will come on later than the 305(leave the 350 out for now)Val,I expected you to understand where I was going with this,
sorry I left out the details and math.
I still would prefer the longer stroke engine if I was stuck with 2.42 gears.
Im the first person to jump up and down when people say you need gears to match a cam,you dont.
So I stand partially corrected,thanks for pointing out my lazy post.I should have put more effort into it.
Sorry Vin, I just can't agree. It's the same train of thought that makes the 305/350's 3.48 stroke that's so built for torque somehow magically a low-torque, high-revving stroke when placed in a 400 sbc because of it's larger bore.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 PM

piston speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
Sorry Vin, I just can't agree. It's the same train of thought that makes the 305/350's 3.48 stroke that's so built for torque somehow magically a low-torque, high-revving stroke when placed in a 400 sbc because of it's larger bore.
piston speed is piston speed
do you understand bore to stroke ratios?
and a 383 and 400 both have the same piston speed,the 400 breathes better because of the bore. A 400 is not a high revver compared to a 383 or 350
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
piston speed is piston speed
do you understand bore to stroke ratios?
and a 383 and 400 both have the same piston speed,the 400 breathes better because of the bore. A 400 is not a high revver compared to a 383 or 350
I understand that they have no bearing on an engines torque output or high revving capabilities with exception to the most extreme situations.

The Cadillac 500 must have an incredible stroke right? No, actually it's got a square bore/stroke ratio. It's just a big engine that has a drive train designed for a low rpm duty.

Unless you're talking about engines with absolutely monstrous pistons (TD BBC) or very long strokes combined with bores that are strangling past the point of the heads design (the 267 SBC comes to mind) then these rules just don't apply to 90% of performance builds today. You can build a 305, 327 and 350 with nearly identical parts and I can bet they'll make very similar horsepower to one another and the bigger the engine, the faster it'll make peak torque. The smaller the engine will make it's power higher in the rpm range to make the same power as the bigger engine. You read that right, The 305 will have to rev higher to make the same power as the 327, all things being equal.

Short stroke or long stroke or big bore or small bore or freaking rotary or anything... I'll take the bigger engine if I want to make more torque, not the greater stroke. The 327 is going to make more torque at a lower rpm range than the 305 will as long as you use the right components. Valve train and heads. This isn't nitro funny cars... just some small blocks in an old caprice. Bigger is going to be better as long as it's built correctly for it's purpose.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.