Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Free Body Diagrams
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
( 'Get your FREE! Body Diagrams here -- just $19.95 shipping!' )
As Smirnoff, that Russian comedian, would say, "I never thought of it that way." Maybe I could have made some money. My wife is already upset with me that I don't charge for a visit to my site. She points out that there have been more than 50,000 hits and says that I should have been charging a buck a hit. Seriously, she's not really upset, but she did make that comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch

Please, continue with the anti-squat description!
I don't think it's really necessary. If the anti-dive description is understood, it's only necessary to reverse the arrows and see how anti-squat works. If you have some specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

I will take this opportunity to correct my description of the Pythagorean Theorem. I said, in my last post:

"...you could determine the total force by taking the square root of the sum of the two numbers."

That should have been:

"...you could determine the total force by taking the square root of the sum of the SQUARE OF EACH OF THE two numbers."

Sorry about that. I make every effort to avoid errors, but...even with a careful read before posting...they still show up!

Also, I would point out that most books (including those used in courses for automotive engineering students) state that the 100% anti-squat line has a slope equal to the CG height divided by the wheelbase. I only recently realized that this must be multiplied by the ratio of the total weight to the value of the total weight less the weight of the rear axle assembly. In other words, the books are making the same simplification that I made in the anti-dive post (that the weight of the rear axle assembly is zero). This is a very small error, but, again, I try to present things accurately. (Your wife would probably sympathize with my wife for having to live with such a nit-picker.)