Freeze Plugs... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Freeze Plugs...

I am in a bind and was hoping you guys would have some invaluable advice.

About 3 weeks ago I was on a road trip and my car started to overheat, after pulling off the road I noticed a rather large leak but couldnt pinpoint where it was coming from. I took it for a pressure system check and found out that it was a freeze plug. It was a 200 dollars fix so I just went ahead and did it needing my vehicle back asap.

This was good and fine for the two days I drove it for short distances in town but on the third day I had to go on another trip and almost the exact same thing happened but this time it is a different freeze plug. I am aware that there are several freeze plugs on the block so I have a question. Since this chain of events has happened do I need to replace all of the freeze plugs (are they all most likely in that similar condition) or is there a possibility that replacing this second plug will completely solve the issue.

My car is 15 years old with close to 200k miles on it if that makes any difference.

Thank you all very very much!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

You won't want to hear this, change all of them or take your chances at $200 a shot. They will all be in similar condition.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
You won't want to hear this, change all of them or take your chances at $200 a shot. They will all be in similar condition.

Thats exactly what I want to hear... Thank you!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Last journal entry: Headlights added
Last photo:

Just pulled my motor on my 70 Cuda, had one dripping then I saw the plugs under the motor mount where bad. Pull the motor if one's bad most likely more are bad.

Regards
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Now would you say just "More are bad" or all are bad?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

What's really bad is 200$ to put in a freeze plug.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
Just pulled my motor on my 70 Cuda, had one dripping then I saw the plugs under the motor mount where bad. Pull the motor if one's bad most likely more are bad.

Regards
Hey Steve, how's the Vette doing?

Vince
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61bone
What's really bad is 200$ to put in a freeze plug.
That really depends on where it's at. I have seen instances where $200 would be a bargain.

Vince
Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
That really depends on where it's at. I have seen instances where $200 would be a bargain.

Vince
Like the back of the block on a 5.2 or a 5.9 Dodge Magnum. Either the engine or the trans is coming out.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Like the back of the block on a 5.2 or a 5.9 Dodge Magnum. Either the engine or the trans is coming out.
Same on my 1969 chevy 350 block.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Last photo:

All the more reason to use brass freeze plugs.

Vince
Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have also seen radiator draincock valves used in place of some freeze plugs. Would have to think that if you had a need to remove or change heads periodically that would make draining the lower water jackets a lot easier. When you think about it, the pressure exerted in the water jackets can't be much more than what the radiator sees so they may work fairly well as a freeze plug and a convenient drain.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 AM

Last photo:

I'm hesitating to wright a post ! But was wondering if you might have thought about doing a few other things to the engine, or at lest looked at the rest of the colling system. Well any way you might want to ask your self :
Did I take a bright flash light and look at the rest of the freeze plugs . They are like every where on the sides of the block and behind the fly wheel and even some heads have them in the front and back.
Have I been draining the radiator ,heater core ,every year or two?
have I check the bottom and top tank of the radiator( like for pine holes )
Have I changed the thermostat ? Was it full of rust? If so Did I flush the system?
The acid that will accumulate in the water system, will (if not check,and the antifreeze changed now and then ) eat at the freeze plugs and cast iron blocks a lot quicker then you would think. So with 200 miles and 15 years old, If you didn't do these things then chances are that other plugs and other things are in the process of failing. If I were to fix the freeze plugs today and flush the system and install new coolant and may be a hose or two,I still would not be able to guaranty nothing else would go wrong with the water system.
So, not knowing how you have maintained the vehicle it is really hard to say just what might or might not happen. But if you like the Car and plan on keeping it a while yet, then I would have the engine removed, flushed and all new gasket and seals R & R-ed, and the rest of the water system cleaned and repaired as needed. Other wise stand by for the next thing to happen!
---------------------------------Your Friend, Gene Neal
Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM

freeze plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Neal
I'm hesitating to wright a post ! But was wondering if you might have thought about doing a few other things to the engine, or at lest looked at the rest of the colling system. Well any way you might want to ask your self :
Did I take a bright flash light and look at the rest of the freeze plugs . They are like every where on the sides of the block and behind the fly wheel and even some heads have them in the front and back.
Have I been draining the radiator ,heater core ,every year or two?
have I check the bottom and top tank of the radiator( like for pine holes )
Have I changed the thermostat ? Was it full of rust? If so Did I flush the system?
The acid that will accumulate in the water system, will (if not check,and the antifreeze changed now and then ) eat at the freeze plugs and cast iron blocks a lot quicker then you would think. So with 200 miles and 15 years old, If you didn't do these things then chances are that other plugs and other things are in the process of failing. If I were to fix the freeze plugs today and flush the system and install new coolant and may be a hose or two,I still would not be able to guaranty nothing else would go wrong with the water system.
So, not knowing how you have maintained the vehicle it is really hard to say just what might or might not happen. But if you like the Car and plan on keeping it a while yet, then I would have the engine removed, flushed and all new gasket and seals R & R-ed, and the rest of the water system cleaned and repaired as needed. Other wise stand by for the next thing to happen!
---------------------------------Your Friend, Gene Neal
I have the same dilema with my freeze plugs and I posted a couple of questions on this forum the other day with some good advice. But you said pull the motor and I know if you are going to do it right that is the way to do it and once it is pulled it is 50 times easier to fix, but I do not want to do that and I do not have a lift or garage and so on. I was quoted a price of 900 dollars to have a shop do it. I will pull this motor by hand first, its a 97 Ford Explorer with a 4.0. I want to change them all without taking the engine out. Any advice or tricks or special tools.

Thanks Nonewcar Dod
Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonewcar Dog
I have the same dilema with my freeze plugs and I posted a couple of questions on this forum the other day with some good advice. But you said pull the motor and I know if you are going to do it right that is the way to do it and once it is pulled it is 50 times easier to fix, but I do not want to do that and I do not have a lift or garage and so on. I was quoted a price of 900 dollars to have a shop do it. I will pull this motor by hand first, its a 97 Ford Explorer with a 4.0. I want to change them all without taking the engine out. Any advice or tricks or special tools.

Thanks Nonewcar Dod
A 1000 lb floorcrane can be had from harbor freight for $149.oo

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.