Freeze plugs leaking... all of them. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Freeze plugs leaking... all of them.

Do brass freeze plugs have to heat cycle a few times or what? I bought a rebuild kit from summit for my 3.8 buick v6. Had the old block hot tanked. Cleaned up the freeze plug holes with scotch bright and laquer thinner and drove in the plugs with a socket. They all seemed to fit very snug. I'd assume I had the correct freeze plugs. They were the correct number of plugs and all fit well. Poured coolant in last night getting engine ready to fire and I notice my driver side plug is dripping. All my other freeze plugs have moist areas where you can tell are seeping out coolant around the bottom of them. Film is sticky I'm sure it's coolant.

What gives!

Thanks all!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed86
Do brass freeze plugs have to heat cycle a few times or what? I bought a rebuild kit from summit for my 3.8 buick v6. Had the old block hot tanked. Cleaned up the freeze plug holes with scotch bright and laquer thinner and drove in the plugs with a socket. They all seemed to fit very snug. I'd assume I had the correct freeze plugs. They were the correct number of plugs and all fit well. Poured coolant in last night getting engine ready to fire and I notice my driver side plug is dripping. All my other freeze plugs have moist areas where you can tell are seeping out coolant around the bottom of them. Film is sticky I'm sure it's coolant.

What gives!

Thanks all!
I always use sealant- never any ploblems.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I've always coated the block with Permatex, that brown horribly sticky stuff, then drove them in. No leaks.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Sealant - almost any will work, but like the above post, the old Pematex Shellac sealant works about as well as any of the expensive exotics.

Get a bottle of Bars Leak. It will seal the freeze plugs. Run it for a while with just water, then drain the residual out, flush it a time or two and you should be good forever. The other alternative, pull the engine and replace them

Dave W
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I've always coated the block with Permatex, that brown horribly sticky stuff, then drove them in. No leaks.
Agreed! I always use that nasty sticky stuff that permatex makes (looks like what my ex-girlfriend's cat used to put in the litter box) and have never had a leak. OH OH You have already put them in and they are hard to get out without destroying them. But do not despair! The cool thing about brass is that it gets a patten (or patina) finish on it. That means it corrodes to a point and then stops. This layer of corrosion will interact with the cast iron of the block and act as natural sealant. If they are installed correctly and the leak is not too bad, just give them a few days and they will stop leaking and never leak again. I promise!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

Indian head

It'll stop leaking by itself probably, but I use Indian head or mix a bit of urethane industrial paint if it's convenient. Either one works I'm going to vote with Ireland in this case though.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Permatex #2.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

I used Bars for many many years and it is great stuff for farm tractors, cars made in the sixties/seventies and older semi tractors. With the newer small aluminum radiators and their small passages it can cause a problem and stop them up. Stay away from it for this application. The freeze plugs should stop leaking in a few days. Been there done that. If they are installed correctly in few days they will stop seeping, I promise!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Before I noticed all of them were leaking I thought only one that was dripping. I tried to drive it in a tad and over did it. It was right up behind the mount and very hard to get to. Apparently a 3lb sledge was to much!

So I knocked one in... I'll try to fish it out and at least put that one in with some sealer. Unfortunately it is in a difficult area to remove it. Not sure if I can get it back out of the block with out taking the engine out.

Wish I would have asked you all before I got out the sledge... Ah well live and learn.

THANKS GUYS!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Anyone use copper gasket maker on the soft plugs? My machinist said he prefers it because silicon is slippery. But I mean everyone uses silicone so can't be too big of a deal. Ive done the copper spray on 4 motors so far and no problems.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
I used Permatex non-hardening sealer as well on all of the freeze plugs as well as the cam plug. No leaks whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

Well I've been told to try everything from silver seal sealant (additive in the water) to plain salt and tap water to promote corrosion. I'm running a new (semi expensive at $280 alum radiator.) I really don't want to clog it up with sealers and corrosion right off the bat! Are there any radiator sealants that don't attach themselves to alum? Should I even worry about it?

I think I'm going to try and install a new plug with sealer on the one I knocked in the block. And try to run it. The engine is basically reasy to fire and a pain to install.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I don't know what the fascination is w/brass freeze plugs in the first place.

If you use antifreeze or some type of coolant additive other than straight water to prevent corrosion and rust and to lube the water pump seals, a steel set of plugs will easily outlast the engine.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

They might stop leaking on their own. I like other here always used a little gasket sealer. I would not pour anything into your new engine to try to get the leak stopped. Most likely it will stop on its own if not you will need to remove the plugs and try again. If you pour sealer into the engine you will most likely ruin your radiator and heater core.

Chet
Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
They might stop leaking on their own. I like other here always used a little gasket sealer. I would not pour anything into your new engine to try to get the leak stopped. Most likely it will stop on its own if not you will need to remove the plugs and try again. If you pour sealer into the engine you will most likely ruin your radiator and heater core.

Well I don't have a heater core, but I'd sure like to not destroy the new radiator!

Thanks for the input.

I installed brass plugs because that is what came in the rebuild kit. Some of the larger plugs were steel.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.