Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (
-   -   French nostalgia dragster (

Jon 03-15-2006 07:13 PM

French nostalgia dragster
I know we have some representation from hotrodders in Western Europe, but not many from France.

I thought our members would find this photo set interesting. It's of the "Salty Bug" by the Flat Bangers crew in Brach, France circa 1990.

Here's some intro text, courtesy of

I scanned and uploaded a pile of pics taken 15 years ago when a bunch of friends decided to go « barn door engineering » on a lo-profile beetle dragster. The feasibility study was done on an Amiga 500 computer in my bedroom using a paint-like software. The finished product was intended to raise interest in “nostalgia drag racing” in a country – France – were all the available drag strips have curves and corners.
The photo set is here:

IROC100 03-15-2006 07:26 PM

Jon, that was neat, wouldn't mind doing one of those right here. Just goes to show, rodding is international.

Don Lyon 03-16-2006 11:24 AM

Overseas Rodding
Very interesting. Several years ago while working in England,I spotted some sort of street rod passing thru a small village, later saw it parked at a local pub. Went in and inquired as to owner etc, was introduced and got a lesson in overseas rodding.It was a Poplar or Popular,English built Ford, similar to an Anglia. Modified 4 banger, 5 speed, big'n'littles,wider glass fenders on the rear. Owner was builder and an MOT inspector.Told me how difficult and expensive it was to build a car under their laws. Invited me to a show / cruise a few miles up the road, and I was impressed, to say the least. Neat to see what other folks do and what they have to contend with.