Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Hotrodding Basics (
-   -   Frenching (

fergal286 01-02-2012 08:45 AM

Hello, I'm new to the site and I'm in the process of doing a mod on my 50merc.
I'm going to FRENCH in the head and tail lights and was wondering what that term means. Where did the term "FRENCHING" come from and where did it start in the hot rod game?
Thanks for the help.
Signed \Ferg -

poncho62 01-02-2012 11:08 AM

Frenching in the headlights means to build the fender out around them, thereby sinking them back in a tunnel of was also done with taillights a lot

fergal286 01-02-2012 11:40 AM

where did the term "FRENCHING" come from?
Thanks, but I know what FRENCHING is and how it it done.
What I'd like to find out is where did the term "FRENCHING" come from?

poncho62 01-02-2012 12:14 PM

From Wikipedia

"The name originates from the end result looking like a French cuff of a shirt sleeve, which has a ridge at the end. Also known as tunnelling, it is a common modification used on leadsleds and customs since the 1930s."

fergal286 01-02-2012 12:18 PM

Great thanks for the info.
I'm much smarter man now.
Thanks again

AutoGear 01-04-2012 01:03 PM

To me 'tunnelling' lights meant being way 'deeper' than the typical frenching buckets you could buy. As to how deep one needs to go in order to be tunnelled vs idea. I assume its like the Supreme Court's definition of know it when you see it

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.