Fresh 383 burns up pistons - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

there are a few things here one is the timing there is also fuel octane with 10:1 compression 93 octane is right on the edge of detenation then throw in a hot timing setting and desaster as you have it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 AM

Maybe an air leak - intake to heads angle mismatch, etc. It seems hard to believe you could do this much damage in 90 miles and not hear it going on !!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM

How to destroy stuff . . . .

Most HE pistons to not handle detonation long enough to look like this, they most often stick the ring pack and pull the bottoms of the pin bosses out and the rod / pin combination saw the block in two!!

I have never felt that modern street fuel (any of it!!) would support much more than 9.5 or so with way short timing (those Vortec heads should not need much timing).

Not sure if the HE pistons do this, but most forged pistons will shrink slightly when you detonate them, that may try to stick the rings in the grooves. And once you pinch the ring lands, oil enters the fuel / air mix and lowers the octane the motor is seeing even more and compounds the problem / damage.

No head gasket leakage?? No "Pepper Specks" on the spark plug porcelain?? That would also indicate detonation.

Take care, K
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 PM

Sorry, but I can't believe he's going to warranty that engine.
There is NO WAY I would, or just about any other builder. Detonation isn't covered.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore 420
Sorry, but I can't believe he's going to warranty that engine.
There is NO WAY I would, or just about any other builder. Detonation isn't covered.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... The owner Smoked that motor....
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM

It's odd that nobody notices all the rings are pretty much lined up. The scuffing on the pistons skirts looks to be caused by to tight a fit. Not due to original clearances but do to massive overheating which in turn caused the detenation concerns. who ever put the engine together didn't know what they were doing and probably didn't purge the cooling system. This is the only way this mush damage could be done to an engine in this short amount of time. Unless NOX or just all out racing and no break in period.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARREN BARBER
It's odd that nobody notices all the rings are pretty much lined up. The scuffing on the pistons skirts looks to be caused by to tight a fit. Not due to original clearances but do to massive overheating which in turn caused the detenation concerns. who ever put the engine together didn't know what they were doing and probably didn't purge the cooling system. This is the only way this mush damage could be done to an engine in this short amount of time. Unless NOX or just all out racing and no break in period.

I am sure the engine being over timed will cause the pistons to run hot and expand and cause this damage!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Look and find how the oil got into the combustion chamber!
I think thats what caused the problem
I dont think it was timing
Looks to me like oil caused the detonation this can happen really fast!
Are you runnind a pcv system?
Also check the valve seals
It could have been timing,but I doubt it.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM

i have the same type of pistions 383 60 over with 500 miles on it sound like a break in problem but i just did want the machine shop said what to do but i do have to say that it was running fat for the firts 300 miles
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcar View Post
i have the same type of pistions 383 60 over with 500 miles on it sound like a break in problem but i just did want the machine shop said what to do but i do have to say that it was running fat for the firts 300 miles
This is classic detonation/preignition damage, the owner even said that he added more timing than what the engine came with. That's most likely what did it in.

Hyper-eutectic pistons are quite intolerant of this as are most cast pistons, but high silicon aluminums including that used in forgings are more brittle and do not transfer heat as quickly as lower silicon alloys.

These alloys also tend to break up, this was mentioned in one of the early replies, if you look carefully at the pictures you can see a crack running from the ring lands into the pin boss. Fortunatly the owner burn't holes through the crowns, lost compression resulting in the engine quiting just in the nick of time leaving him a rebuild instead of a replacement. Pushed a few seconds more, this engine would have been pieces on the pavement.

So when running hyper-eutectic castings or high silicon forgings it is extremely important to stay out of detonation. If you're inclined to push the limits do what the factories do, put a detonation sensor on the engine. It is not difficult to install one such that when it hears pinging it kills the ignition. With a computer in the ignition loop that controls the advance electronically the detonation sensor can be used to back off the advance which is more gentle on the parts than just shutting off the ignition. However, either will save the motor. Detonation sensors don't work with gear driven cams as the gear noise trips them up.

Bogie
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Last journal entry: gus`s 40
Last photo:

You got me wondering about my 383 I have aluminum heads, cam has .480 lift 109 lsa and 230 duration at .50 it is running a little rich right now but seems to run good but I do get oil coming out the breathers
Old 11-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad33478 View Post
He believed me and is covering all the parts/labor
Being an old guy and having been around the block a couple of times, I see this a little differently than others on this board. I see you as an irresponsible "TAKER" like so many others in present day society. If you had any integrity or honor, you'd pony up for the fix on this motor instead letting the builder do the repairs and eat up all his profits from the job. If you're claiming you couldn't hear this motor detonate, you're a liar. Did you tell the builder that you altered the ignition timing? I'm bettin' no.

If I were the builder, I'd tell you to go pizz up a rope.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
bondo (02-16-2014)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Being an old guy and having been around the block a couple of times, I see this a little differently than others on this board. I see you as an irresponsible "TAKER" like so many others in present day society. If you had any integrity or honor, you'd pony up for the fix on this motor instead letting the builder do the repairs and eat up all his profits from the job. If you're claiming you couldn't hear this motor detonate, you're a liar. Did you tell the builder that you altered the ignition timing? I'm bettin' no.

If I were the builder, I'd tell you to go pizz up a rope.
X100 Very well said.. At very least the OP could pay for parts and the builder put it together for you.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 AM

oil out breathers

funny you say that i seem to have the same problem not sure the cause was told might be because high pres oil pump its not alot but it does make a mess
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Last journal entry: gus`s 40
Last photo:

yea mine does to all over the firewall and motor but not all the time, I took the breather off the drivers side and put a pcv valve with a baffled grommet and put a piece of foam filter under it and think it might be to restrictive

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.