Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fresh engine won't run - I'm stumped.
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

YES!!! I got it running. I readjusted the valves using the up and down method on the pushrod and not spinning it. Now that I've done it both ways I can see how the spinning method could be misleading. More importantly, I think the real issue was the timing. I was trying to start it around TDC because that's what many posts said should work to get it going. It started but ran very rough. I immediately advanced it quite a bit and it smoothed out. After warming up, it seemed to like about 12-14 degrees BTDC.

Ran it for 25 minutes between 2000 and 2500 rpm in the garage with a box fan in front of the radiator to break in the cam. The whole time the oil pressure never fell below 45 lbs. and the temp never rose above 200 degrees, so I feel really good about this, and no leaks.

Next change the oil and filter and run a little more before putting the front clip on so I can take it for a spin. Thanks everyone!