fresh rebuilt turbo 350 transmission hardly shifts into reverse and no forward gears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

fresh rebuilt turbo 350 transmission hardly shifts into reverse and no forward gears

hi everyone i have a 79 malibu classic which i recently freshened up the motor and rebuilt the tranny also installed a 2000-2300 stall converter when i got the car done we filled up the tranny and tried to back it out of the garage and doesnt seem to fully engage into reverse so i tried to move forward but car just sat there so i pulled the tranny back out to find the forward clutch was stuck so i pulled it apart and replaced the lip seals again and reassemble the tranny and after installation it backed out of the garage but didnt seem to be fully engaging so i pushed it back in and jacked up the rear end and put it in reverse seem to engage fine so i shifted down to first worked good also so i dropped it back down and now it doesnt seem to move at all please someone help i am out of ideas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 AM

Last photo:

It's gonna take some checking.
Make sure the Pump's working 1st, check fluid level with engine off, then with Engine running to see if the level drops.
Next, a Pressure test would help. Need a 0-300psi gauge.>> http://th350.netfirms.com/pages/7a2-02.jpg
Manual shift linkage adjusted correctly?

Lots of diagnosis Info here>> http://th350.netfirms.com/browser.htm
Cheap Gauge>> http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/atd-5550.html also check Amazon, many there have free S/H.

Was the Torque Converter installed correctly? Turning & pushing it you should feel/hear 3-clicks, this will be the Input Shaft splines, Stator Support splines and Pump lugs/splines engaging.>> http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/FAQ.asp#4
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM

fresh rebuilt turbo 350 transmission hardly shifts into reverse and no forward gears

hey thanks i have fixed the problem it was that my friend who helped me put the transmission back together tightened the valve body a little tight and the plungers werent allowed to move.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Lots of diagnosis Info here...
Some of the links you posted just helped me out, was facing a similar problem. Thanks for the help. This is why I love forums.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.