Fresh SBC Rebuild - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fresh SBC Rebuild

Being Christmas Holidays I have untill Monday to get this assignment finished. I yanked the 350 out of my '81 shortbox Chev and stripped it. It's now in the machine shop being bored .030 for four valve relief flattops. I'm reusing the stock 64cc Double Humps that I took off and a Performer RPM intake. All this is going infront of a th350 with a shift kit and a 3.73 posi.
Do I go with the XE268 cam again? I'm Also wanting a stall converter?
I did not ask to have the block decked but who knows what has been done in the past... Do you think I could get away with a .02 steel shim head gasket?
Since I'm this far into it I'm looking for the biggest bang for my budget buck as possable without going overkill, but better safe than sorry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Ask the machinist to check the deck with a straight edge and he can tell you if it`ll need decked or not. Remember, when using a thin head gasket they are less forgiving of surface errors than there greater thickness counterparts.
This is why the basic fel pro is .041 thick, it`s designed to operate on surfaces that aren`t as flat as they could be and that`s why it`s usually a good idea to have the heads skim milled to assure flatness. Since the head deck surface isn`t as thick and the head gets hotter it`s more prone to warpage. The XE268 is a good street cam, and would flow with your mods well providing you have headers. It`s the largest cam you can run without a stall so a tork master 2400 converter would suit you nicely.
To calculate rather or not you should use a thin head gasket you need to know how far down the piston sits in the bore at top dead center. look into who makes your pistons and find out the compression height. Standard 350 pistons have a 1.560 comp height, rebuilder 350 pistons have 1.540. If your using the rebuilder pistons the block will have to be decked to get a good quench out of it. A safe quench distance is .040 to .060, if it`s beyond .060 it`s really not doing much good. However, if the pistons have the standard height the deck clearence will be around .025 or so and you can use a thin head gasket to get a good quench out of it.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Thanks DV, I forgot to mention the truck has headers through 2.5" flowmasters. The pistons are not "rebuilder" style thank God. I picked up my block out of the machine shop today. It turns out the head surfacing area had a good scratch in it so he took it down .005... If I knew that I would have had them take it down .020. I also ordered my XE268 cam and lifter kit today and I'll probably order the stall tomorrow.

I was hoping to have this thing built this week and putting it in the truck this weekend. I was just measuring up my block and crank mains and they measure 2.644 - 2.445 I measured my standard size clevite bearings out to .095 each leaving me with .01. A bit tight so I think I might want different bearings? Same thing with the rods?? 2.220 - 2.100 and a standard size .06 clevite bearing leaves me with 0.00!

Last edited by 2wheeler; 12-30-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 AM

Last photo:

I hope you meant .001 and not .01,, .01 wouldn`t be good lol.
If the clearance comes out at .001 it`s not enough, however, you need to be precise as you can possibly be in the measurements as if they are .0015 that is close to ideal, I say this as I would hate to see you have to buy another set of bearings if you could use the ones you have. You could try plasti gauge, it`s not perfect for accuracy but it gets close. But if need be yes you can get different clearance bearings. If it does indeed spec out to .001 this isn`t enough, anything under .0015 isn`t enough and anything over .003 is too much. So if you land around .002 to .0025 your safe. Even so the clearances measure out the way they do not yet installed this is why I recommend you install them and see what you get using plasti gauge.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

I cleaned everything this morning and set the crank into place. I plastigauged using red and came out almost bang on .004. The crank has been polished so this makes sense. If these bearings measure .095 then I'm pretty sure I should be using bigger bearings..? Thanks for the confirmation DV, I can see I'm going to have fun with the connecting rods also. I'm going to get this thing together today

Last edited by 2wheeler; 12-31-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Yes, .004 is too much clearence and oil pressure will suffer. You need bearings that are about .0015 to .002 thicker. If you can get the .002 bearings providing the rest of the journals are very close to the same size as the one measured you`ll land at the ideal .002 figure.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again for the confirmation DV! I didn't want to spend the time going two hours round trip for different bearings. Sooo I used the original crank that came out of the block (not the polished one I had) and the standard size bearings measured up within specs. I got it together with lots of assembly lube and it turns over without heads at about 30 ft/lbs. I just need to pick up my cam and stall but nobody's open tomorrow!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 PM

Just curious; you plan on running at the Port Alberni Airport Drags? That's quite an event, though I have'nt been there myself. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:32 AM

Last photo:

Hey Junior, that's funny that you know about "Thunder in the Valley!" Is it THAT big of an event? I have never seen it myself... I'm at the south end of the island so it would be a bit of an expense to drive my machine up there. Also, I honestly don't think you'de have a chance in an event like that running GM heads... Those guys go big or go home! My nearest track is only 1/8 mile too, so that's kind of what my build is based on. Are you thinking about coming to the Port Alberni Valley this summer???
Old 01-01-2010, 10:46 AM

I know of the "Thunder In The Valley" event mostly from online searches. But I check it often, the pics are great. What 1/8th mile track is on the island, is it on an airstrip also, I know there's another, but the name escapes me at the moment? I knew of a 300 ft strip once used at a circle track for drag racing, but no actual drag strip since Van Isle Dragway, and the old San Cobble "strip". Love Canadians.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:25 PM

Just came to me , Sechelt Airport, but I thought that was 1/4 mile drag racing.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

My local track in Victoria is Western Speedway... or there's Saratoga Speedway in the mid island area, but I've never been there
Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 PM

Last photo:

I got the motor back in the truck over this weekend. I went to fire it up today and it chugs and tries to run I think I went wrong by installing the gear drive with the cam dot at 6 O'clock and the Crank dot at 12 O'clock instead of 12 and 12? I also installed the distributor at 0* degrees, If I need to fix it I'll move it to 12.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:39 AM

Last photo:

dot to dot is TDC #6, not #1. your distributor is 180 out

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.