Fresh T-350 , makes a pop noise, then quits moving - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fresh T-350 , makes a pop noise, then quits moving

I bought a 350 turbo from a friend. It was rebuilt by a trustworthy shop about 5 years ago and put on a shelf in his shop and never used. Never had fluid in it. I put it in my malibu, new front and rear seals just in case, and no problems. I dont think I've even put a mile on it yet. I went to back it in my shop friday night and do a little burn out and I heard a pop sound and it quit pulling. Park still works but no forward or reverse. Driveshaft is ok, tourqe converter bolts ok, linkage ok, and no fluid leaks. I havent pulled the pan yet. I hope maybe the filter dropped down. If not, can anyone tell me where to start looking or what to look for? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 PM
More for Less Racer

Wouldn't suspect the filter, or that it dropped down, as the fluid is high enough to still be pumped around even with the filter off. Sounds like something has broken like the input shaft/forward drum or some other hard part in the trans, or the front pump.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenko Malibu
I bought a 350 turbo from a friend. It was rebuilt by a trustworthy shop about 5 years ago and put on a shelf in his shop and never used. Never had fluid in it. I put it in my malibu, new front and rear seals just in case, and no problems. I dont think I've even put a mile on it yet. I went to back it in my shop friday night and do a little burn out and I heard a pop sound and it quit pulling. Park still works but no forward or reverse. Driveshaft is ok, tourqe converter bolts ok, linkage ok, and no fluid leaks. I havent pulled the pan yet. I hope maybe the filter dropped down. If not, can anyone tell me where to start looking or what to look for? Thanks!
theres a good chance that either the pump broke, or that the inside of the converter has stripped out.
best thing to do at this point is hook up a pressure gauge and see if you have main line pressure. gl
Old 08-09-2010, 09:31 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

and do a little burn out

So, let me get this right, u took an untried tranny thats been hangin', stuck it in and immediatly slammed it.
U tink it broke.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks guys for the info. Started tearing into it today and havent found much. Dropped the valve body just to take a look, havent found any metal. Thats good. Did a pressure test and no pressure! Hope n its just the pump. Gonna pull it all the way out tomorrow. Thanks again guys!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

Did you intall the torque Converter correctly? Rotating back & forth while slightly pressing it in. Should hear/feel 3 clicks. If not it can break the Pump gear by the Converter & Pump drive Lugs not being aligned.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.