Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   "Freshly Bored" '62 283 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/freshly-bored-62-283-a-134075.html)

Wadeamca 02-25-2008 07:18 PM

"Freshly Bored" '62 283

5 Attachment(s)
Talke a look at these photos. I picked up the engine today from the local parts shop who farmed out the block to have it bored. Obviously, I'm not a happy camper. :mad: :( . I wanted to order the new bearings & rings, etc, but that'll have to wait a few more days. Oh well.........

Wayne

techinspector1 02-25-2008 07:58 PM

Did they bore it with an axe or what?

barnym17 02-25-2008 09:05 PM

Good lord thats criminal.you could do a better job with a dingle ball hone and a couple years labor.

carsavvycook 02-25-2008 10:32 PM

Pathetic. That's all that needs to be said.

ap72 02-25-2008 11:28 PM

He may have stopped the honing at the most opportune time, it looks like the block had some previous bad rusting and maybe that was as far as he could safely overbore the engine- or maybe that's wha *** looks like if you only go the amount over that you requested. What is being labeled as bad machine work could be a result of him following what he was told to do or starting with a throw away block.

Wadeamca 02-26-2008 05:53 AM

"Freshly Bored" '62 283

I took the engine to the local parts shop and said I wanted it cleaned and mic'd. They called back and said the machine shop said it needed to be bored. So I agreed and had them also install the freeze plugs and cam bearings. Don't know yet how far they bored it - hope they can go a little farther and make it a good engine. If not, I guess I'll have to use the '57 I have sitting in my shop. I'll give them a call this morning and see what happens.

Wayne

redsdad 02-26-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap72
He may have stopped the honing at the most opportune time, it looks like the block had some previous bad rusting and maybe that was as far as he could safely overbore the engine- or maybe that's wha *** looks like if you only go the amount over that you requested. What is being labeled as bad machine work could be a result of him following what he was told to do or starting with a throw away block.

That's basically what I thought when I saw it. Those rust spots look like pits that have been there for years. I do think that after the first one the machine shop should have called you to tell you either to bore it bigger or toss it.

FEDDO 02-26-2008 06:10 AM

just bore it mor ,if you feel the need to save the block. I have had several 4'' bore 283s. I currently have one in my dragster.

DRS50 02-26-2008 06:15 AM

I agree with ap72 somewhat, but any respectable machine shop that is worth their salt would have called customer and explained that it was not cleaning up at the amount requested to be bored and would have to go bigger to clean the cylinders up. The problem is the person doing the boring didnt care if it would work or not or if it was right. No Pride in their Work.And if it was a throw away block the customer should have been notified that it was not worth boring before they bored them all and expected him to pay for something that would not work.

I have had 3 blocks bored and the guy I use checks for what he thinks is the worst out of the 8 holes and starts on that one til its cleaned up, if it takes .030 to clean it then thats what he makes them all, if it takes .040 then thats what he makes them all. But he will call and tell me what he has found out.

1952_Chevy_Panel 02-26-2008 06:29 AM

It's hard to find a trustworthy machine shop nowadays. In my area, anyhow. If you don't tell the machinist exactly what you want done, maybe even write it down for them, it won't be done right. I've heard alot of horror stories from around here, guides pressed in crooked, completely rebuilding heads without vating(sp) or new freeze plugs. GOOD LUCK on finding a machinist that'll do what they say they're going to do. Like someone mentioned above, nowadays people don't take pride in their work, it's all about the mighty dollar. I'M NOT SAYING EVERY MACHINIST IS LIKE THAT, so nobody get their panties in a wad.

Looks like that block might have to be .060 over, anymore than that you might have some cooling issues with a daily driver.

CustomConspiracy 02-26-2008 06:42 AM

Bored?

I don't know where everyone lives........and this may be against the guidelines but I wanna say this.
My oldest Friend in the world.........Fast Frank Hutchinson...lives in Rochester New York........and is a LIFE LONG Hot Rodder, Drag Racer, and Machinist since before we got out of High School.
This guy is psychic when it comes to engines. The other part is that he is honest to a fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are anywhere near Rottenchester.........you should seek him out.
He lives on Portland Ave.
I do hope I didn't break any rules but there ARE competent, and honest Machinists out there.......and this guy is one of them.

NAIRB 02-26-2008 07:08 AM

It's your block. They can't help how deep the rust is.

Many 283's will go as much as .125", so .060" is a walk in the park. If the over bore is now at .030 or something like that, try and bargain with them, and get it bored to the next size.

The rust pocks, if they are minor won't cause much issue. I know, I've got one that I run that was similar to yours. Of course, from the pictures, it's a little tough to tell how deep they are. Mine only had a couple of small spots.

Wadeamca 02-26-2008 11:08 AM

"Freshly Bored" '62 283

Called the 'parts shop' this morning and described what I found. He called the machinist that did the job and was told "the cylinders were bored to .060 and that he saw the pits and that they shouldn't cause any problems". I asked the parts shop guy to go to my house and look at the engine. He did and is calling their normal machine shop to make a determination.

Not being a machinist, and the fact that I've never rebuilt an engine before, I still find it hard to believe that these 'pits' wouldn't cause any compression or blow-by or piston-ring problems.

Will keep y'all posted.

Wayne

Wadeamca 02-26-2008 11:54 AM

"Freshly Bored" '62 283

Part shop guy just called. He called several engine shops around Albuquerque and was told that, from what he described, there 'shouldn't be any problems'. I'm gonna load it into the back of my truck and take it to a couple shops to get their opinions first-hand before I go and do anything to it.

Wayne

302 Z28 02-26-2008 12:16 PM

"Shouldn't be any problem", yeah right :rolleyes: That is some really shoddy work and I would not take it as gospel those bores are square either.

Vince