Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Freshly Rebuilt sbc 355 cranks over hard
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA67_72
I'll probably catch some grief for this, but I have a motor that likes a lot of timing also. I just have an ignition kill switch. I kill the ignition, start cranking, and flip it back on. I've tried all kinds of things short of a super starter. The old girl doesn't deserve that kind of money. If I retard the timing to where it will start, it just falls on it's face.

Kevin
I do the spark kill switch thing also. (locked out full timing with a big cam) Works fine.. Make sure you have the OEM GM rear starter bracket/brace installed to support the heavy GM starter motor.
With this brace and the correct GM knurled shank starter mounting bolts you should not break the starter nose.
Leave the OEM starter bracket/brace off and you are just asking for a busted starter or stripped starter mounting bolt holes in the engien block.

You'll have to test the condition of your starter motor, starter solenoid and battery cables.