Hot Rod Forum banner

fried battery

979 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  N8PHU 
#1 ·
recently bought a 92 lumina that had been sitting for quite a while. battery was junk so put in a new one. car started pretty easily but fried the battery. any ideas on what my problem is?
thanks
ole b97

#5 ·
burned off post..

Doc here :pimp:

Consider yourself VERY lucky!! A short that bad and the melting of a post usually Causes an explosion, Covering you in sulfuric acid and tearing your body up with acid soaked shrapnel!!!

Poncho is correct, You have a HIGH CURRENT massive short somewhere in the current delivery system...like the BIG positive cable shorted to ground.

Check the cable along the length for shorts..to the frame or any other ground source.

Just about any other Short would have caused a Wire failure (melted wire) or blown Fusible link before the battery post would have melted down.

The Solenoid May have a short to ground also, internally, so you'll want to check that also.

Whatever you do, until you solve the problem, while live testing, Wear a heavy Coat, Apron, Goggles or face mask and gloves around the battery, until you are VERY SURE you have fixed the short...and USE CAUTION!!

You can get seriously hurt in an explosion...my experience in Battery explosions is , they have the sound and power of about a 12 ga shot gun shell going off in your lap...

I have seen them spit Lead and plastic and acid for a 25 foot diameter when they go!! In addition to Cuts, and very painful Burns...you won't get a second chance with eyesight!

Check the positive Cable and battery terminal for anywhere it could have shorted To ground...and ..

Please BE CAREFUL!!!

Doc :pimp:

#6 ·
I almost had a nice battery explosion a week or so ago, a customer at the store where I work needed a jump, so I went out to give her a jump, so I pull up and the woman starts telling me to hook red to postivie and black to negitive. I was like "I've done this once or twice before." So I put my positive cable on the battery and Sparks start flying everywhere, im like wth so I go over and look and the woman has her connections reversed from the way she told me to do it!! lesson learned, hook up the cables yourself!!

back on topic as Doc said be very very very careful, if it were me I would disconnect that negitive cable then check along the positive cable for any places insulation may have rotted off and could be shorting out up against metal. If you don't find anything out of the ordinary, I'd listen to docvette and say the Solenoid may have a short, couldn't hurt to pull it out and have it tested.

#8 ·
To help chase down a short like this, you could by a cheap "Rat Shack" multimeter to help you troubleshoot. Place the black lead to ground and the red to the battery lead (With the Car Battery disconnected!). Use the resistance setting and see what it reads. Keep isolating parts of the electrical system until you find the one that is causing your short. If you don't know how to use one, see if you know someone that does.
The multimeter is a cheap and effective tool for use in the garage...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.