fried something i need help :( - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 02:01 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fried something i need help :(

hi guys,
i'm in some desperate need of help. my 63 nova was running fine. the 194 inline 6 would run fine no issues, only thing was i was working on trying to troubleshoot the drivers side parking, turn signal and rear light. none of which worked. passenger side was fine. while poking around under the dash, my headlight switch kinna was giving me issues so i tried to remove it to make it easier to trouble shoot. it seems i caused a spark somewhere. and now i have no power to the switch. the horn relay works(still have to troubleshoot the actual horns) but now i have no lights at all, no crank etc. i am trying to find out where i can start troubleshooting to find out where/ what i fried. i have 12v and if i use a start button to the starter solenoid direct, it cranks, but nothing to the ignition. any ideas? i think im gonna change all the fuses just to be sure, but any advice would be appreciated.

thanks, JD

Advertisement

Last edited by jvsapp; 09-01-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 AM
or was that certifiable?

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

63 wiring diagram

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/images...l/63chevy2.jpg
welcome to wire chasing 101 lol
hope this helps you out. start by checking your fuses. when all check OK if still having issues start by finding out what has power, AND GROUND (ppl usually tend to forget the other half of the circuit) start tracing back till you find out where you lose it.
You are more than likely going to find a fuse bad. I dont think this car had inline fusible links. maybe someone a little older than me can answer that one.
I am not seeing an indication of fuse links on the diagram any where.
Good Luck,
Tech
Old 09-01-2008, 11:30 AM

wiring

I believe this is one of the first years that they used a resistance wire or fusable link. I beleive everything feeds off this wire that is usually a red wire that hooks to the battery terminal on the starter. If it looks like its been hot it could have burned intwo. I can't rember if it goes to switch or fuse box first. Probably to fuse box. Check if you have power to fuse box or switch. Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I would be you blew a fusable link as stated above

Chet
Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the replies, i actually have that wiring diagram already, but i colored the wires to make it easier for me on the initial reconnection(really helped). there is no HOT wire from the starter, my 77 C10 on the other hand has one. on my nova has a hot from the battery that goes to the horn relay and from there i think it goes to the fuseblock. i just really don't wanna strip all the tape from the wires, but it looks like i'll have to do that. i'm almost tempted to get a new harness from ezwiring. not too expensive and should fit the bill. i won't be able to check all the fuses till probably next weekend at the soonest possibly the weekend after. would the fusible link be in the wire wrap from the horn relay to the fuse block? or is it the one from the battery to the horn relay? is it possible the voltage regulator is trash too? i saw the spark when i was trying to "fix" the drivers side lights, but now i think only the horn is still getting voltage. the parking lights might be the ground issue, but front and rear weren't working. so i need to get the car back cranking first then i can go to the next side. any additional help would be appreciated.

thanks again JD
Old 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Burned up?

When I was putting my 65 C10back together, I saw a nice black wire when I was under the truck and I grounded it really well. I was so proud.
As soon as I put battery power to it..........and smoked the WHOLE harness.....I discovered some previous owner had spliced a short stretch of black wire onto a VERY RED wire up top.
The first most visible fried wire was the one from the battery to the horn relay.....TO THE ALTERNATOR.
I started replacing wire, and kept finding more and more smoked spots.
My point is........those wires are old and brittle from just time.....much less the heat and punishment.
I decided if I took the cheap (fast) way out it would just haunt me forever a little bit at a time so I re-wired the whole truck bumper to bumper.
Now......after miles of wire.....and trying to jam my 300 pound butt under the dash to cut and splice.......then to trace some of my mistakes and add ons..........well now that EZ WIRE or PAINLES thingy I thought was so outragously expensive looks like a real bargain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

thanks i'll have to keep that in mind. my butt is a little bigger than yours but i am hoping the fuses did their job and just popped. if replacing the fuses don't do it, then for cost reasons i'll probably be looking at the ezwire kit. i can't afford the $400 painless kit. then again maybe i should just order it and possibly be done with it if the fuses don't cut it. i would still need something for my Morris once i get around to that. the wiring in my nova is actually still in good shape. it surprised me for being 45 years old. nothing too brittle or cracked. then again probably wouldn't compare to current technology. anyways will get a look at it and see where it's gonna lead me.

thanks again, JD
Old 09-01-2008, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

i just noticed taking a second look at the wiring diagram that there is a resistance wire below the Alternator right in the middle of the diagram. is this the fusible link? it shows red/white/black on the diagram. i really wish i was closer to my car and i could be checking it now i guess it'll have to wait till the weekend at the soonest.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

figured it out. was bad fuses. the ones i put in were too low a rating. put in 10's and 20's and it's ok now. just need to figure out the drivers side blinker now.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.