Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Friends off to Iraq
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Friends off to Iraq

Well first off, before I say anything else, I just wanted to shout out a quick "I'm sorry" for the last thread I stared about the smoking truck that turned into such a crap-shoot. I said some stuff that wasn't needed on this site.

That said... I'm a little down this week because three of my friends are going off to war. One of them just got married, one of them is going to miss his marriage (has to do it quick, justice of the peace style) and the third is a 2nd lt. just out of college. Anyway, I spent the weekend back home meeting one of them for his last visit home for two years. Its basically the last time I'll see "him" because when he comes back I'm sure he'll be nothing the same. He's running fire support for the ambulance there in one of the bad parts of Baghdad. That means anytime crap hits the fan, he's got to rush out there, clean up the attackers, load the wounded into the ambulance, and evacuate. Most of the guys doing his job now have some pretty bad combat shock. I'm proud of him though, and if my country called me up, I'd strap on the rifle and do what I had to do... which brings me to my next point...

I was talking to some of my old room-mates (who happened to be Indian in descent) and asked them what would happen if bush started a draft. They just told me "dude, this war is BS, I would strait-up roll over to Canada." There were quite a few of them and their friends (not all Indian btw) who said the same thing. I could not have been more pissed off. Especially since they were second generation here in the US. I mean, you come here, go to the university, enjoy the life in the united states, use all the benefits and pleasures that this country provides, then when its your time to do your service YOU GET UP AND RUN AWAY?!?!?!? WTF!!!! The reason I mentioned they were Indian is that they are new citizens in their family. Their family obviously came here because it was a good opportunity. So they think its great to be here, go to the best schools in the world, enjoy the best economy in the world, enjoy our freedom, but not deliver when we need them. I seriously wanted to knock that dude's block off... Sigh.

What do u all think about that and this war?

K

By the way, I get the feeling somebody who's a bit older is going to start preaching to me about the vietnam war and how that was a real war and this one isn't and that I should be grateful that we're not in that war and that my friends aren't going there. I don't want to hear it. I have nothing but respect for all the people who served in that war, I don't pretend to know what it was like and I'm not comparing the two. So let me pre-empt that before somebody calls me too young to talk about this.