Front axle on my 1947.1 chevy panel truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Lrpasco

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Front axle on my 1947.1 chevy panel truck

I am working on my early body 1947 chevy panel truck (1941 - 1946 body style)
and i am in the process of figuring out what to do with the front suspension. I picked up a front clip and a rear axle from a late 80s 2wd suburban and it is about 3 inches to wide for what i need so i am looking to do something else. I cut a front clip off of a 1977 mustang 2 (it is missing the spindles) that i am thinking of using with buying a sub frame online for it. My other option i am throwing around is buying one of those online disc brake conversion kits online to mount to the current axle but my panel is a 3/4 ton. Is the axle beam itself the same vs half tone or am i up the creek with a 3/4 ton finding a kit. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

why not get wheels with a 1 1/2 inch offset that whould get rid of the 3 inches?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

My vote is keep the solid axle set up, that is a good part of the charm of an old truck. M2s belong under old ugly Mustangs, not 40s trucks IMO. I don't think you would have to look very far to find something that works. Go to a junkyard and peruse the 3/4 ton trucks, maybe pick up a rotor or two and start doing some measuring on spindles ect to come up with cross over bearings to put the rotors on your spindles. Then go to the dirt track store and buy the weld on caliper mounts (about 10$ ea) and get some reman Chevy calipers and you are in business. I did this on my econoline and had about $110 into the brake parts, not counting bearings and seals. Also ny friend did that on his 37 Ford and put vhevy hubs on his 37 spindles but he is a machinist and was able to cut the simple bearing spacer required.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Last photo:

Keep The Straight Axle

I'm all for keeping the straight axle also . Sure the independent fronts have better handling and ride but the Straight Axle has the Charm. These's a lot of options that will bring it up to date.( Better Ride and Braking) Do Some research before Damaging some thing that you can not repair and take something away from your Ole Rig ! But All In All It's Your Ride ! Do what you want to get the LOOK YOU WANT ! :
Old 02-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwopper07
why not get wheels with a 1 1/2 inch offset that whould get rid of the 3 inches?
Might create a clearance problem between the wheel and the caliper/rotor.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
I'll take the contrarian point of view. I wouldn't think twice about retiring the old parts to the rear of the shed and using a later IFS unit. Better ride, better handling (provided you're proficient at installation of the IFS) and much improved steering. With the aftermarket crossmember, you can set the front ride height where you want it too, without having to resort to dropped spindles, cut coils and all the other voodoo that renders IFS systems to little more than barely operable.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I'll take the contrarian point of view. I wouldn't think twice about retiring the old parts to the rear of the shed and using a later IFS unit. Better ride, better handling (provided you're proficient at installation of the IFS) and much improved steering. With the aftermarket crossmember, you can set the front ride height where you want it too, without having to resort to dropped spindles, cut coils and all the other voodoo that renders IFS systems to little more than barely operable.
I agree go with the aftermarket crossmember and do not use the factory mustang control arms they are stamped and not as strong as aftermarket tubular ones. thats what I am doing on my 50 model. sounds like you are not keeping it stock so why stay with 61 year old technology.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Last journal entry: `63 fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATS NEST
I am working on my early body 1947 chevy panel truck (1941 - 1946 body style)
and i am in the process of figuring out what to do with the front suspension. I picked up a front clip and a rear axle from a late 80s 2wd suburban and it is about 3 inches to wide for what i need so i am looking to do something else. I cut a front clip off of a 1977 mustang 2 (it is missing the spindles) that i am thinking of using with buying a sub frame online for it. My other option i am throwing around is buying one of those online disc brake conversion kits online to mount to the current axle but my panel is a 3/4 ton. Is the axle beam itself the same vs half tone or am i up the creek with a 3/4 ton finding a kit. Thanks
first of all I vote keep the straight axle. try moving up to a `60's 1/2 ton frt. axle, you can get disc brake conversions for them. also, use an `80's 1/2 ton rear end, you will be able to get automatic compatably gears. of course you'll have to use 6 bolt wheels, unless you can find one with a 5 bolt brake set-up.

Good Luck!!!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.