Hot Rod Forum banner

Front Clip

7K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  NEW INTERIORS 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with putting a front clip or IFS on a 46 ford pickup?

#2 ·
I haven't done the specific vehicle you mention,but I have done several late 70's camaro front clips into various cars from the 50's and 60's.It shouldn't be a difficult job if you think it through.I'm not saying it isn't an involved process.Having a good solid flat level floor will go a long way to making the process easier.

#3 ·
clip or crossmember ?

I have a 46 truck with a Lincoln Y block behind the barn . original builder passed on and his son didn't want it.
there is a lot of info on the ford truck forums about keeping the original frame and doing a later IFS crosmember , google Jaguar, aerostar or newer crown vic swap.

#4 ·
I have a 46 truck with a Lincoln Y block behind the barn . original builder passed on and his son didn't want it.
there is a lot of info on the ford truck forums about keeping the original frame and doing a later IFS crosmember , google Jaguar, aerostar or newer crown vic swap.

I've heard good things about the crown vic swap.I haven't done it but have seen it done.There's good aftermarket support for them.

#5 ·
Crown Vic swaps seem to be the latest thing, because they're plentiful, and inexpensive. They are pretty wide though, and not sure they'll work in a '46 Ford width? Jaguar sedans were the hot setup, as they were steel, and could be narrowed for almost any application. If you can find a Jaguar sedan front crossmember/suspension, they're easily removed, and adapted.

#8 ·
I think the S-10 clip may work..it will not have the arms on it like the camaro or Nova clip has but it looks to be doable.. Tha tis if one cannot locate a Jag or something else.. There are crossmember kits to do the Mustang II front end as well.. I know choices choices...:sweat:

Sam

#11 ·
the problem is not the cross member it is the length of the a arms.narrowing the cross member just moves them inboard. then you have to narrow the frame . on a 67 ford they bolt to the frame but still have to use the neg wheels.

#13 ·
I'm sure a Crown Vic can be narrowed, but it is an aluminum crossmember if I remember correctly. And narrowing all the components that go with it makes it a less desirable unit. If it can be used as is, then it's a great choice. The Jaguar units have a great system, and much simpler to narrow, if needed.

#16 · (Edited)
I don't remember say'n the crossmember was the issue,??
ya cause no one can make a arms.. like I said I haven't seen the unit outside the car.. (I own one) but a tig can make anything happen..
just because I haven't seen the unit outside the car doesn't mean I don't have a clue..
tube a arms are nothing new.. sure it might not be workable.. but are you 100% sure.. I'm not.
hot rodders didn't just go, na won't work, they stuff it under there and find away. it depends on what you have more of.. money (to by the already made kits)
or time and some skill. or buddy with the skill that might be needed (in this case welding) ..

oh that's right no one uses a tig on steel.. my bad
oh I said alum.. ya cause hodders don't like light parts..
maybe you should not assume.

#19 ·
Keep in mind... When you narrow a cross member, Your also making less room for a big motor.. Just seems like a lot of work for WHAT.. A few dollors saved... Not worth it to me.. And yes TIG can weld it... But the guy under the hood really needed to know how to use the TIG... They don't weld by them self,, And on ALUM.. You need it right,, There's no second best when it comes to welding ALUM..

#20 ·
A SN 95 mustang uses the same lower ball joint taper as the Crown Vic. And the Crown Vic uses the same upper ball joint taper as an Aerostar. So the SN95 cross member and tie rods, Crown Vic spindles, and Aerostar upper control arms are a workable combination, and ends up about 60 inches wide.

#23 · (Edited)
are you ending up with struts or coils ? the problem with the crown vic is all the beef outside of the frame rails. the thing is massive . under a wide f series it works well but still a little wide.
thanks for the photo.. very helpful to vision the unit outside the panther plateform.
Would the new type wheels that are not dished(like most cars now) help with the total width, depending on the build it might not look bad without a 2" dish in the wheel like most are used to.. at least up front.. rears need some dish/lip .. wish the new factory hotrods/muscle cars had more of it.. it is a detail they sadly lack and need..

#24 ·
Another problem with narrowing the Crown Vic is that you then have to completely redo the rack and pinion mounts, and depending on how much it's narrowed, you might have to change mounting height. Once you've had to change the mounting height of the R&P, the geometry is totally changed, and angles on the rod ends will create handling issues.
If a Crown Vic can be used as manufactured, it's a bit bulky, but lightweight, and works extremely well on a vehicle that can handle the width.

#25 ·
Another problem with narrowing the Crown Vic is that you then have to completely redo the rack and pinion mounts, and depending on how much it's narrowed, you might have to change mounting height. Once you've had to change the mounting height of the R&P, the geometry is totally changed, and angles on the rod ends will create handling issues.
If a Crown Vic can be used as manufactured, it's a bit bulky, but lightweight, and works extremely well on a vehicle that can handle the width.
I'd think the geometry would stay the same as long as the tie rods are parallel with the lower a arm and if you took 3" out of the center you'd take 1.5" out of each inner tie rod..

#26 ·
fivewindow , the crown vic is not an option. mustang 2 kits are plentiful. personally i will only install fatman fabrication products. camaro clips will work but require fab of a crossmember mount. the s10 will also work. the s10 frame will mate with the ford frame approx under the front edge of the seat. also needs fab of a crossmember mount which is just a piece of 1x3 tube.

#28 ·
exactly. narrowing the crossmember will result in bump steer. the pivot of the rack has to remain the same as the lower control arms. i have seen many cars with hacked up suspension that will never work .

#36 ·
I have done this on a mustang front end once with great results... I know first hand about this... When I built my 32 Roadster.. I used a mustang II front end...I took out 4'' out of the cross member... Once I built the frame and added the RAD... I didn't have any room to run my steering to the rack.. SO !!! I turned the spindle's around (side to side) and got me a Geo rack.. Mounted it on the back side of the cross member and Everything worked GREAT... No bump steer, And you didn't even see it in the Ackermann... Never had a front end alignment.. Didn't need one... The rack need's to pivot in the same line with the a-arms..

I'm a person not afraid to test the waters.... But I will make sure it is safe..;)

Attachments

#38 ·
Jag it.

I don't know the difference widths of our 46 ford truck and our 46 international. We are spending this winter up by Yellowstone trying to get the interior finished on our new smaller retirement home. Messing with cutting a crossmember, steering geometry sounds like too much work for me.
Here is a link to installing a jag front and rear in a 46 international. I never measured our trucks but they are about the same.
We were pulling Jag front and rears at a U pick. for $ 100 to 150 depending on the owners mood that day.
MAIDEN Build. 46' IH Rat Truck - Page 12

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.