Front clip options? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Front clip options?

I was wondering what options I have for the front clip in my newly required 1937 Chevrolet Sedan(pics in album), for those of you who remember the post where I said I was going to do the Coupe, well I got a good offer on the car and sold it, 2 days after I got it. The guy who originally started to rod this car used a drop axle from a 50's Chev truck I believe thats what its from anyways. Also the rear-end from the same truck from the looks, but thats for the next question.
I have access to a Maverick. Would the Maverick be the same clip as a Mustang II, from the same era? What other choices do I have for a front clip? Advantages, disadvantages to different ones.

bonuts

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2003, 06:48 PM

I know that the Pinto is the same as the mustang II up to '78. The contol arms are cheap and fairly easy to find in a bone yard. The rack works as well but I don't like the early racks. They're turning ratio is too quick. Use the 85-95 rack. I used a Fatman kit and have loved it. A 30's rod usually has manual steering because of road feel. I'm currently using TCI's air-ride system in my 36 Ford and it is a very nice kit.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Well I'd love to run a FatMan Mustang II IFS aswell but I'm building a low buck rod, so I'll have to use waht I got. I do however know where there's a Mercury Bobcat (same as pinto) I could probably get for nothing. Both these cars are complete cars, so control arms will be there. Of course I'll rebuild the thing first, but I need to save cash on this build.
Hey, "a54f100" do you have a idea how wide your rear axle is? I could go measurte mine but the car is accross town, just wondering because I've got a 1970 ford 1/2 ton with a Ford 9" rear. I'm sure I'll have to get narrowed but just wondering.

bonuts
Old 04-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

Maverick is NOT like the MII/Pinto/Bobcat, so you are on the right track. Just some info here, Just Suspensions offers brand new crossmembers from MII's, you can transfer all the components to it, but you'd start with a new piece and not have to cut it out, they're fairly reasonable.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The Maverick front end is basically the same as the Falcon. To the best of my knowledge no parts will interchange between the Maverick and the Mustang II.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 04-04-2003, 04:43 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I used a stock MII crossmember in my 36 pontiac and it works fine. The one think to remember is to keep the angle of the crossmember the same as it was in the bobcats this keeps the antidrive correct and I have no bumpsteer. I have had it is since 88 and have lots of miles on it. I used power steering so that my wife could drive the car and got used to it and I love it. If you have any question just send me an email.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

So, I want the Bobcat for its front clip. So I'll also want to fit with a newer rack is this correct? Thanks everybody for the replies, and "Eblack" I may need your help later on for sure, I've never done all this before, just getting all my parts organized. Thanks.

bonuts
Old 04-04-2003, 07:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I sent you an e-mail.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Thanks for the pics willy's but I can't view them. I guess I don't have a program or somethin' I really wanna see these I'll try to figure it out.

bonuts
Old 04-05-2003, 05:23 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The Maverick is basically the same as the early Mustangs, in that it is a uni-body structure. It has the control arms mounted to the inner-structure, not a crossmember or removeable frame. That won't work.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Thats why I asked, I haven't even looked at the Mavericks. I just wondered because I know where there is a Maverick for nothing. Just trying to sort some stuff out here.

bonuts
Old 04-05-2003, 06:03 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

That's about what they are worth, in my opinion. They are known to rust out in the area of the shock towers and collaps, letting the upper control arm rest against the exhaust manifolds on the V-8 models.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:22 PM

The mavrick REAR end is the correct width for your car. It will be an 8 inch and will stand up to 400 hp.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

I'll have to look into that one charles, that sounds cool. Are the 8" worth anything? There's two of them there so hopefully they'll work. I do also own two 9" Fords but I use them in the Stock Car so if 8" are strong enough I'll use it. Doo you have any idea what gears the 8" out of Mavericks had? I'll look anyways.

bonuts
Old 04-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

Lightbulb

When it comes to suspension components, as with any other major street rod modification, price is a big issue to some and it generally is with me too. I guess before a person delves into a project car, an overall concept of the finished product is best. Hot Rods, Street Rods and customs are taken to various levels of expense depending on the builders level of income and expertice.

The idea of transplanting suspension components from later model cars to old iron is as old as the hills and as controversial as the war in Iraq and since everything from the straight axle to the custom tubular Mustang II with coil-over idea, has been flogged by every one here already, I can only offer one more idea for your 37. That is, only if you're looking for the best ride and handling that money can buy.

The Corvette C4-C5 combo.

In the latest issue of HRM, there is an excellent article that describes in detail, just what this takes and how it is done. There's a 41 Chev convertible here in town that's drop-dead beautiful and has had a comlete late Corvette front and rear suspension transplant. One of the most outstanding features about this 41 is, the owner actually DRIVES this car... Everywhere.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.